Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help !!! OMRON Relay voltage drop problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomx

Hi, I'm new member.

i create an remote site application that using OMRON MY4N 12 VDC to control lamp. I put each 12 DC Power supply + backup battery for every site.
But i think the problem is length of the cables (about 400mtr) so the voltage on the relay is only approx +- 8 VDC. The relay coil can't works.
Did somebody know how to amplify the voltage so the relay can works ? But without replacing relay with SSR

Thanks before .

"I put each 12 DC Power supply + backup battery for every site."

......How many sites are you referring too? Conductor resistance/loss is not easily overcome. Some of your options might be, in order of difficulty from least to worst:

1) Switching to another relay, it is possible a 9 volt coil will still function...perhaps the 12 V power supply circuit has a variable potentiometer to increase a few hundred millivolts to provide extra power.

2)Increasing the power supply voltage at your source location to 15+ volts

3) Localizing a 12 volt power supply at the remote site and using the lower voltage signal as the switching voltage for a transistor to drive your coil.

4)replacing cable run with a thicker gauge.

I'm afraid you are looking for a solution without having to change anything, and this will not work.

Well, depending on your relay, if the switching part is done from 400m then ...
but if your circuit just provides the supply part of it and the relay is with switching part then a high cap worths to be tried,by the time it contacts, no need to supply whole vol in.

thanks for reply, i was so appreciate for your taking time to answer this. I interest to use the transistor, can we use BC547 transistor ? or somebody could help me with a simple circuit diagram. thanks so much..

thanks for reply, i was so appreciate for your taking time to answer this. I interest to use the transistor, can we use BC547 transistor ? or somebody could help me with a simple circuit diagram. thanks so much..

I think you meant SCR. Yes, I would use an SCR or a TRIAC to switch the lamp off & on. You can use a small low power relay to switch the SCR. It will eliminate your problem and it will greatly extend the life of your switching unit because the 110VAC will burn up the contacts on your relay rather quickly from arcing.

What type of relay are you using? Common relays usually have the same coil requirements (around 400mW), but you might find a "low power" version for slightly more money.

If you know the mfr and part number of the relay, we can help.

Adding a two-transistors amplifier 400m away from each relay will work if its output is about 16V or 17V. Then your power supplies and batteries must be replaced with 18V ones.

You can keep your 12V power supplies and batteries if they and the amplifiers are mounted at each relay.

Assuming the relay and battery are together near the light and you are 400 mtr away with a swicth, Try this, add the red
Your BC547 transistor is good for 100 ma and the relay needs 75 ma so your transistor should be good to go.
Kinarfi

Attachments

• post.PNG
    post.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Deleted Deleted Any one know how to remove a post?

Last edited:
Thanks for all replay, here's the picture of application. Now im trying to wired BC 547 + 1K2 R .

Attachments

• indicator lamp application.jpg
    indicator lamp application.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 277
I don't think you can delete posts anymore kinarfi

Is this what you did, I don't see a problem unless you fried the transistor and it failed in the shorted condition. If you can find a 2N7000 FET, go that way, I have found a real warm spot in my heart for FETs.
Kinarfi

Attachments

• omron.PNG
    omron.PNG
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,584
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back