Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed with LED Bar Current Meter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue7hand

I would like to add a LED current meter to the output of a squarewave ozcillator.

I found loads of designs to display voltage, done with a row of Opamps or with the LM3915.

But how do i adopt this to meassure current?

About 8 LEDs should display 1mA to 15mA.
Supply voltage is 18V.
The output ozcillates between +/- 13V.

My thinking sor far:
I could put a resistor of upto 10 Ohm in line, which would then have upto 150mV.
But how can I feed this to an opAmp? Because the voltage of the two connections of the resistor have no relation to any other point of the circuit, I don't see how to create a reference voltage for the opAmps.
I hope it makes sense what i'm saying.

Maybe my thinking is all wrong and there exist completely different solutions...

Anybody can come up with one please?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Russlk,

I don't exactly understand what you mean.
But maybe I should mention the following:
LED current meter will be part of the ozcillator circuit and therefore has the same supply and ground, which is different from the signal outs.

blue7Hand

The signal out has to be somewhere between VCC and GND unless the output has a transformer, in which case there is no problem anyway. This circuit will work with a floating signal source because it does not amplify the common mode voltage. The output DC level is adjusted by the ratio of R5 - R6.

Attachments

• amp_167.jpg
    amp_167.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 835
that LM3915 is a logarithmic v-u meter specifically (think so) desinged for audio. pins 1, 10-18 are LED's , one could search for total specification by searching for the LM3915

You'll probably want the lm3914 V-U meter IC, it's similar to the 3915, but its linear instead of logarithmic

Hi Blue,
Don't you want to measure the current through the oscillator's load?
Then since the oscillator has a dual-polarity supply, isn't the load connected to ground (the connection between supplies)?

Simply put your current-measuring resistor in series with the grounded terminal of the load, and amplify its small voltage with a normal single-input opamp circuit that also has a dual-polarity supply.

Why are you using a square-wave? Most AC current measuring is done with sine-waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back