Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed with a simple timing circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaxForCandy

Hello,
I’m working on a small electronics project but don’t know too much about designing circuits so I figure I would ask someone who knows and this seems like the place. Ok, What I’m looking for is the following: I need a circuit that when the switch is pressed it will close the circuit and in an adjustable amount of time via adjustment knob (Header socket?) a solenoid will actuator and move in the forwards direction. Then for an adjustable amount of time via adjustment knob (Header socket?) will return to its starting position, which will require the voltage to be reversed. The circuit will need to automatically restart itself, and then when the switch is closed it will repeat the operation again. Can anyone out there help me? If so please don’t hesitate to send me an email or instant message I would really like to get this project going. Thanks!

Sincerely,
HaxForCandy@yahoo.com

Update

I'm not sure if people want to be bothered with my circuit but I can offer some money for there time and even the circuit itself. . .

For the benefit of other readers, is this what you want it to do?

1) Press button
2) After adjustable delay1 - solenoid activates forward
3) After adjustable delay2 - solenoid activates backwards
4) Reset and wait for press of button again

Hello

TheOne said:
For the benefit of other readers, is this what you want it to do?

1) Press button
2) After adjustable delay1 - solenoid activates forward
3) After adjustable delay2 - solenoid activates backwards
4) Reset and wait for press of button again

That’s it my friend you hit the nail on the head. I have a few requirements for size but that can be dealt with later on. Thanks for clearing it up!

Hello

Russlk said:
So far, good; more questions: How many seconds for time delay 1 and time delay 2? How much current and voltage is required by the solonoid?

I would like to have delay 1 and delay 2 adjustable between 1-30 seconds using a adjustment switch I’m not sure what they call them but there:(Small box shaped componit that can be adjusted using a small screw driver. In a circular clockwise motion to speed up the time and counter-clockwise to slow it down) if stationary time is needed I would like delay 1: 5 seconds and delay 2: 1 second. Solenoid Spec’s can be viewed below: I would also like the push button switch and solenoid to be attached to the circuit via “Terminal blocks” It would be nice if the PCB it was designed on was a .73” diameter circle with a .15” hole down the center but since this is a prototype it’s not a big deal how big it is.

Solenoid Spec’s:
12VDC Continuous Tubular Push/Pull Solenoids
12VDC nominal voltage continuous
Life expectancy: 2,000,000 cycles
Norminal voltage and current is at 100% continuous
Voltage/Current: 12VDC @ 135mA
Type: Push/pull
Coil Res(+10%): 89 Ohms
Size: 1.24" L x 0.73" Dia.
Weight: 0.05 lbs.
Shaft Dia. (in.) 0.110
Wires (in.): 3.5
Power Consum.: 2.0W
Holding Force (lbs. @20 degrees C): 1.12

You can view the solenoid here: https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...toreId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=121688

Help Me!!!

I am in the same boat. I need a circuit very similar to yours. It needs to be adjustable by trimmer pots, and needs to have two outputs each adjustable with their own trimmers. They will control 12V DC solid state relays, but the circuit is basically the same. Is their an easy way to make this run on 12V DC instead of 9 V? Your help is greatly appreciated.

hope this helps??

solenoid one turns on 5 seconds
solenoid two turns on 1 second.
to make the timing adjustable just insert a pot for the resistors R3 & R5
the 556 is just 2 555 timers.
**broken link removed**

hope this gets you going

Attachments

• Capture3-16-2009-7.22.15 PM.jpg
    Capture3-16-2009-7.22.15 PM.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 314
Simple time circuit

Hi, I need a simple switch time circuit possibly using the 555 or 556 chip application as follows
(1) Press a N/O press button to activate a relay and at the same time indicate an LED light
(2) The process should remain activated fo approximately one hour and then switch off
(3) There should be a delay of five seconds before the timer can be activated again
The timings given are not critical, I would like to have pot to time between 1 and 2 hours (not critical)
Would appreciate a circuit diagram and component values, using 12v transformer rectified to DC
Thanks
Ken

well to start off read this
**broken link removed**
then add a 4017 to divide by 10 because a 555 won't do timing functions correctly anything over about 30 minutes
do a search on 4017 circuits then you can devise a plan Come back when you have a design and then we can help. This has happened too many times. Doing homework for someone. Can't learn if you don't at least try to figure out your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back