Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed with a PSU project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmotta

I've got experience of general soldering, but very little of electronic principals, so my current project has left me a little stumped.

I'm trying to connect an Xbox 360 PSU to a low-power motherboard via a 120W DC-DC PicoPSU. The PicoPSU requires an input of 12V and ditributes all the necessary voltages to the motheboard. The Xbox PSU connection has 9 pins, which I believe (am currently at work) are as follows:

1-Ground
2-Ground
3-Ground
4-12V
5-12V
6-12V
7-Connecting to ground powers pins 4, 5 and 6
8-5Vsb
9-Ground

I've connected a 12V and Ground connection to the PicoPSU and I have added a 20pin ATX extension lead between the PicoPSU and motherboard and spliced the /PS_ON and 5Vsb leads and connected them with pins 7 and 8 respectively.

At the moment, when I power on the current setup from the mains, the LEDs on the motherboard and PicoPSU light up when when /PS_ON and pin 7 are connected, the Xbox 360 PSU outputs 12V, but when I attempt to power up the motherboard, the CPU fan will spin ever so briefly and the Xbox PSU will enter standby.

Any idea what I can do? I can either keep going down the current route and try and figure out what to do, or I could somehow figure out how to make the Xbox PSU automatically output 12V, so that the PicoPSU can do all the work, but not really sure how to do that.

PicoPSU specs: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/03/pico-psu-120-manual.pdf

20-pin ATX pinout:
ATX power supply connector pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

The Xbox 360 power supply is rated at 203W, with voltages of 12V - 16.5A & 5Vsb - 1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back