Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed wiring an dryer motor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to run a grain mill with a dryer motor like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5Auj8w0tw

The motor I am using is this (model 279827):
https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Ke...NKFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309313089&sr=8-1

I would like to hook the motor to a 3-prong cord (from computer) so I can plug the motor into the outlet. When I wire it up nothing happens. There is no movement, noise or flames. Am I wiring it wrong? A bad motor?

I got a wiring sheet with the motor (picture attached) that says to wire black to #6 and white to #5 which I am assuming those correspond to the AC wire colors. Let me know if you see any mistakes or if I should try something. Thanks!

Attachments

• Wiring -- Top view with blue jumper that was removed.JPG
    Wiring -- Top view with blue jumper that was removed.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,533
  • Wiring Instructions.JPG
    Wiring Instructions.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,762
  • Current Wiring Order.JPG
    Current Wiring Order.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,195
  • Side View Close up.JPG
    Side View Close up.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,288
  • Wiring Order Top View.JPG
    Wiring Order Top View.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,571
I dont know exactly, but at a guess i would think the terminal you have the black lead wire attached to is connected to nothing, and the black wire needs to be moved over onto the terminal next to the blue wire.

Someone else might have a working knowledge of the exact wiring of these motors.

EDIT..... in the youtube photo the black wire is attaghed to where you removed the blue wire from on the overload switch.

Pete.

Attachments

• motor wiring.JPG
    motor wiring.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
How do you have the start switch wired? That is the red wires in your data sheet, don't see the in your photo of how you wired the motor. With out the momentary contact of a start switch the motor won't run.

How do you have the start switch wired? That is the red wires in your data sheet, don't see the in your photo of how you wired the motor. With out the momentary contact of a start switch the motor won't run.

I believe the red wires refered to in the data sheet are the wires coming from the dryer (related to 220VAC?) but could be wrong. I always thought that the purpose of the switch (little black enclosure that the leads are coming out of) is to provide power to the starter winding and as it speeds up it switches over to providing power to the primary winding. If this is true then I would think that you would only need to wire the power cord to the appropriate leads and the switch would provide power to the appropriate winding.

Any suggestions on how you would wire this up?

Dryer motors don't normally have a centrifugal start switch built in them. To start a dryer, you set the timer then push a 'cycle start' switch. Just a momentary contact switch that does the job of the built in centrifugal switch used in most motors. It is part of the safety system, to keep the drum from turning with the door open.

Try putting a switch between the two terminals where the red wires go. Don't leave the switch on after motor starts, or the start winding could burn out.

Dryer motors don't normally have a centrifugal start switch built in them. To start a dryer, you set the timer then push a 'cycle start' switch. Just a momentary contact switch that does the job of the built in centrifugal switch used in most motors. It is part of the safety system, to keep the drum from turning with the door open.

Try putting a switch between the two terminals where the red wires go. Don't leave the switch on after motor starts, or the start winding could burn out.

If you look at 2:25 my motor has a similar mechanism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIrCUh1S8x8
Which I am thinking is the centrifugal switch mechanism. I will try the switch and see what happens. Would you concur with SABorn's comment above on the wiring order?

Are you trying to run this motor off of 120VAC or 220VAC? Most of the dryers on the market run on 220/120VAC. The only component in the dryer that uses 220VAC is the Heater (Heat Coil). The motor that you have is designed to run off of 120VAC. Most motors like the one you have have two windings. The main winding or run winding and the start winding. Both of these windings are energized when first started. When the motor reaches a certain speed or the in rush current drops, depending on the design, the start winding is cut off by either a centrifugal switch or a current relay. Can you tell if the black box on your motor is connected to a centrifugal switch?

Are you trying to run this motor off of 120VAC or 220VAC? Most of the dryers on the market run on 220/120VAC. The only component in the dryer that uses 220VAC is the Heater (Heat Coil). The motor that you have is designed to run off of 120VAC. Most motors like the one you have have two windings. The main winding or run winding and the start winding. Both of these windings are energized when first started. When the motor reaches a certain speed or the in rush current drops, depending on the design, the start winding is cut off by either a centrifugal switch or a current relay. Can you tell if the black box on your motor is connected to a centrifugal switch?

I am trying to run it off 120VAC. It has a centrifugal switch similar to what is shown at 2:20 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIrCUh1S8x8

I am not sure what leads to connect the 120VAC leads to. The wiring config I currently have does not work. SABorn suggested a new wiring config. Any opinions on that?

Hope these Tumble drier circuits are of some help, they are typical.

Attachments

• TUMBLE DRYER.jpg
    TUMBLE DRYER.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,825
  • TUMBLE DRYER2.jpg
    TUMBLE DRYER2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,791
  • TUMBLE DRYER3.jpg
    TUMBLE DRYER3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,229
  • TUMBLE DRYER4.jpg
    TUMBLE DRYER4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,081
Anonymous_Coward, if you have a multimeter, set it to "OHMS", and read your resistance between terminals "4" and "5". Per the wiring diagram supplied by Shortbus=, terminal "5" is your hot or black leg and terminal "4" would be your neutral or white leg. If you decide to put in an "ON/OFF", make sure it is placed in the hot leg. Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

Did you ever figure this out? I also want to use the dryer motor for a fleece tumbler, but I don't know where to attach the cord. The motor I have is S58NXMMM 6726 (apparently Amana, Maytag, Master Chef). There are red, blue and yellow wires attached to the terminals, and 5 wires are cut off (3 pink, 1 white and 1 light-blue). Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back