Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed - What protections does my circuits need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been developing a remote data acquisition system composed by one data acquisition and operation circuit which reads values from 4-20mA sensors and sensors with digital pulse outputs, one circuit to received solar energy and recharges a 12 V battery, and a circuit to do the 12v -> 24 v conversion (to supply the 4-20 mA sensors). A battery supplies the power to all the circuits and sensors.

Besides the EMC protection, what others kinds of protection should I implement in each circuit I have?
- ESD?
- Power input protection for overvoltages ? Using TVS?
- Power input protection for reverse polarity ? Using diodes in parallel ?
- Current-limiting circuit for each 4-20mA sensor present?
- What about an earth connection? Should I connect it to the battery GND?

Is there any book that treat these issues above?

Thank you,
rprodrigues

It's kind of hard for us to determine what the best protection for your circuit is, only you know what environment it's going to be in and what possible risks there are.

ESD is not a concern once the system is operating. If you're going to be handling the circuit boards, then you'll have to find out if they are ESD sensitive. Over voltage can be handled by a simple voltage regulator. TVS is for things like lightning protection. If you think it might get hit by ligntning, then use it, but not for over voltage. Voltage polarity protection can be accomplished by simply using connectors that can only be plugged in one way ( ie polarized connections ) Earth conneciton is probably not needed, unless again, you're trying to protect from lightning.

ESD is not a concern once the system is operating. If you're going to be handling the circuit boards, then you'll have to find out if they are ESD sensitive. Over voltage can be handled by a simple voltage regulator. TVS is for things like lightning protection. If you think it might get hit by ligntning, then use it, but not for over voltage. Voltage polarity protection can be accomplished by simply using connectors that can only be plugged in one way ( ie polarized connections ) Earth conneciton is probably not needed, unless again, you're trying to protect from lightning.

I though I should implement lightning protection.

Thank you for your advices!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back