Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed using micromotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspreet

hi
i m using 2 micromotors found in the mobile phone as a vibrator
which circuit i should use to drive them h bridge made by transistors or the chip ones plz do reply with some schematics and chip no.
i'll b vey thank full

Can't you just use a transistor switch to connect power to the motor. An H-bridge would only be used if you wanted to run the motor in both directions.

if a H-bridhe then a chip. if you dont want to drive them bothways, then notmal transistors. but i hope you know that they have little power and the power cell must be wery light.

i suggest a H-bridge chip. to find the IC name, use google and "H-Bridge IC"

Yes, an h-bridge IC would work. Just remember that your motors will pull very little current so you dojn't need beefy drivers. You should determine the current needs of the motors. measure the current draw for unloaded and stalled (not turning). That should help you understand what your driver needs are.

there are several h-bridges in small packages: L239D (and not the L293 which needs external diodes) and SN 754410. Both of those will more than drive your motors. You might even be able to use 74HC series logic if the current is low enough (<30mA) but you will need diodes to prevent back emf.

Or you could build your own hbridge with transistors and diodes.

If the parts were purchased in the US, you would spend no more than a couple of dollars.

Last edited:
ok tell me one more thing as my motor draws very little current
can i use bc548 and bc558 in h bridge if yes
then plz draw a shematic for me

jaspreet said:
ok tell me one more thing as my motor draws very little current
can i use bc548 and bc558 in h bridge if yes
then plz draw a shematic for me

sorry, you'll have to do that yourself.

there are many resources you can use. google for h-bridge circuit. many hit.

Also, the book "Building Robot Drive Trains" by Clark & Owings is excellent and has numerous circuits.

Last edited:
philba said:
Also, the book "Building Robot Drive Trains" by Clark & Owings is excellent and has numerous circuits.

Thanks Philba !!

I'm apologize for hijackin a thread here, but my question is in the same area..
These vibramotors spin at aprox. 1000 RPM, what would be the cheapest way to reduce the speed down to 80-90 RPM. I haven't tried yet, but have a suspicion that a simple resistor would drain power as well as speed. And I dont want to buy a expensive PWR, since I dont need to be able to adjust the speed once it's reduced.

maneuver said:
I'm apologize for hijackin a thread here, but my question is in the same area..
These vibramotors spin at aprox. 1000 RPM, what would be the cheapest way to reduce the speed down to 80-90 RPM. I haven't tried yet, but have a suspicion that a simple resistor would drain power as well as speed. And I dont want to buy a expensive PWR, since I dont need to be able to adjust the speed once it's reduced.

Use a gearbox, otherwise you won't have enough power to move anything!.

hi
i think mr goodwin is saying the right thing
or the other way may be try lowering the voltage
should try some voltage regulator ic

jaspreet said:
hi
i think mr goodwin is saying the right thing
or the other way may be try lowering the voltage
should try some voltage regulator ic

Lowering the voltage will lower the speed, but it also lowers the torque, and there's not much of that to begin with!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Use a gearbox, otherwise you won't have enough power to move anything!.
That seems to be the correct thing to do... unfortunatly
What bugs me is weight, the motor is 10 grams, the batteries are 2x15 grams. The plastic walking plastic toy I'm fitting this into is roughly 50 grams. where will I find a REALLY CHEAP gearbox that dont weight more than all this together?...

maneuver said:
What bugs me is weight, the motor is 10 grams, the batteries are 2x15 grams. The plastic walking plastic toy I'm fitting this into is roughly 50 grams. where will I find a REALLY CHEAP gearbox that dont weight more than all this together?...

But will it move if you don't?.

I agree that with out gearing down, you will basically just have a buzzer. tamiya makes a series of gear kits. I don't know if they are too big or heavy but that may be your best bet. maybe take a look at the N scale train stuff. I suspect it will be far too expensive for you.

not for the faint-of-heart but you may just have to make your own gearbox.

maneuver said:

Maybe pullies and a little string for a belt would be a good bet.

Those tiny RC cars have a motor about the same size and I think they have a gear on the output. It's still not anywhere near an 80-90 rpm outout though, you'd need more gears or a larger gear of the same tooth size.

If you have to ask...

much too extensive subject for a post. many many ways to do this. chain drive, worm gear, ... I'm not sure where the resources are. maybe salvage toys for gears? hobby stores have gears (though I don't know what is in your corner of the world because you don't say...). get one of the tamiya gear boxes, study it. and so on... use your creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back