Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed to Modify a 240x64 LCD to bypass the onboard controller IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasbab

Hi there,

I've got an old drum machine and I'd like to replace the LCD display with a backlit modern equivalent.

The only problem is that the original 240x64 LCD display does not have a controller IC built in (powered by a controller from the main PCB) and I can only find modern replacements that have a controller built-in to the LCD display.

I have heard that people have been able to modify Winstar WG24064A displays (controlled by RA6963) to become "controllerless" by removing some components and bridging a few pins.

I've only been able to find some really lo-res images of the modification so I'm not 100% sure which pins to bridge across after removing the RA6963, I've attached the photo here.

mpc6.jpg

I think they've removed 2 ICs - the RA6963 and another IC below it which I'm assuming is an SRAM chip.

The datasheet for the RA6963 is here:
http://www.newhavendisplay.com/app_notes/RA6963.pdf

The datasheet for the original LCD in the drum machine is here:
http://www.sdiy.org/xyzzy/MPC60/LCD/LM24008M_25_Feb_87.pdf

I'm not 100% sure but I think pins 18-24 of where RA6963 was are bridged to other pins, as well as 1 or 2 other pins from 1-4. There could be a few other pins if I'm missing something.

I think I've got an approximate idea of what's going on but would appreciate any additional advice, I'm not 100% sure about which pins I should bridge and where I should bridge them to.

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back