Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed to generate 50Hz Quasi square wave for H-Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

abicash

Hi

I am trying a seemingly simple task but somehow not able to manage it.

My resource :

4 channel PWM Microcontroller (Ch0 to Ch3)
I have a MOSFET H-Bridge which are named anitclockwise as A,B,C,D (A-B -> first limb , D-C -> next limb , A,D->upper)

Up until now i created an Edge-Aligned PWM signal and run the limb-sharing MOSFETs with complementary PWM. This works for a high frequency PWM , modulated over a low frequency.

Now i have to run the scheme at 50Hz . Which means, 10ms conduction for diagonal FETs each.
For this i generated a 10ms PWM signal and ran each limb in complementary mode.A Duty-cycle was calculated by an Analog channel and this Duty determined the Duty of the FETs.
Algorithm is thus

main
{
Read ADC;
Calculate Duty-cycle;
}

Timer Overflow
{
Channel0 = 0; // runs as complement of channel1 -- as upper MOSFET of limb1
Channel1 = Duty_cycle; //-- as Lower MOSFET of limb1
Channel2 = 0; // runs as complement of channel1 -- as Lower MOSFET of limb2
Channel3 = Duty_cycle; //as upper MOSFET of limb2

}

But with this scheme i observe that the variation of the ADC value changes the duty of only the positive envelope (as is inherent) of the o/p

Can someone suggest a method for mirroring the duty change in both positive and negative envelope?

I hope i am clear enough.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading

I think I have this straight,

You have setup channel 0 and 2 to zero, so these o/p's will be continuously low, not the opposite phase to channel 1 and 3.

What you need to do (I dont know C well) is logically invert the adc value and dump that into the duty cycle control registers for channel 0 and 2.
I dont know if you understand assembler but this is what I'd do:

comf adval,w
movwf dutycycle_register

I think in C the operator to invert is !

Hello dr pepper

Thanks for your reply.
The Microcontroller has this feature of complementing the even numbered channels.So i update duty in odd numbered channels and automatically , the duty is updated as complement in the even numbered channel.
What i need is actually to drive the 2 limbs in 180 deg phase shift.
Which means that if i have a 90% duty, then upper MOSFET is on for 10% time and the lower MOSFET is on for 90% (with inherent dead band)
But i see that this scheme wont work. Since if i drive the 2 limbs i wint get equal distribution of the frequency in positive and negative peaks.

it will be somewhat like in attached text doc

whereas i want it to be equal on both sides

Attachments

• wform.txt
    403 bytes · Views: 178
Hello

I have just now thought of a scheme.Have attached the waveform (w/ 10% duty)

1)I generate 2 nos of 50Hz complementary square-wave signals (fixed at 50% duty-cycle).Lets call these , A0 and A1
2)I generate another 100Hz Duty-cycle controlled square-wave signal . The Duty will be dependent on the ADC read value as earlier, but limited to 90%.Lets call this A2
3) I Logical AND -->A0 & A2 -- A1 & A2 . Lets call these signals as A3, A4
4) Now A3 and A4 are my drives. I just need to replicate them to get 2 more .So i have 4 drives for an H-bridge

Now i can see that i have to have 2 nos AND GATES at the o/p , but someone has ideas to control it in software?

Attachments

• logic ana 1.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back