Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jro7563

hi all, im new here and was wondering if there was someone who could offer some help ???
first off let me explain, i dont know one end of a soldering iron from the other, period :confused:
im in the middle of trying to build a prop replica from a bond film, so far so good, the problem i have is i need to fit 6 chasing LED's flashing in turn from 1 to 6 then over again, ive just bought a little LED chasing kit with all the parts needed, simple ???? no, not when like me your ham handed and cant see anything closer than 12 inches away, ive had a little go but not with the desired result :eek: so i was wondering if there was anyone in the surrey area with the know how who would be willing to put this together for me as i really cant be messing too many of these up.
if so PLEASE get in touch so we can talk terms.

many thanks :)

Perhaps you should at least what country you live in to the location section of your profile.

Can't you buy a ready built module?

Someone here might do it for you but they also might charge you a lot of money for, shipping plus labour.

He said he is ham handed and is blind. Blind people cannot read.
His pc probably has speech recognition and types his post for him.

audioguru said:
He said he is ham handed and is blind. Blind people cannot read.
His pc probably has speech recognition and types his post for him.
this guy is hilarious, :NOT: .........lol

He isn't blind, he's just long sighted, my mum has the same problem, when she reads a book it needs to be at least 12 inches away for her to be able to read the text.

Hero999 said:
He isn't blind, he's just long sighted, my mum has the same problem, when she reads a book it needs to be at least 12 inches away for her to be able to read the text.

So she, like the OP, needs reading glasses - you can either have your eyes tested properly, or just buy them off a rack at Boots very cheaply!.

Well, if its a kit, it shouldn't require an EE to assemble. Do you by chance have a handy friend/neighbor/family member that could solder it for you?

I am an old geezer (61). When I was young I could see pefectly. Then when I turned about 40 I needed reading glasses to see close. Now I have tri-focals that allow me to see perfectly up close (about 12 inches), medium distance (from 2 feet to 4 feet) and far (from 6 feet to infinity).

Nigel Goodwin said:
So she, like the OP, needs reading glasses - you can either have your eyes tested properly, or just buy them off a rack at Boots very cheaply!.
She already has a pair of glasses; she just doesn't always carry them around with her.

I remember in the old days when Heathkit was selling a lot of stuff to hobbyists that you could operate a small business just repairing the poorly assembled kits that beginners tried to build and failed. It was always poor soldering. We take soldering for granted, but a complete beginner can't even solder a kit properly, so it is quite understandable that this gentleman asks for help with soldering his kit regardless of his visual acuity.

Too bad I live in another Surrey, in Canada, or I'd offer to help out. If he wants to pay for the shipping I'll do the job.

RadioRon said:
I remember in the old days when Heathkit was selling a lot of stuff to hobbyists that you could operate a small business just repairing the poorly assembled kits that beginners tried to build and failed.

I built a Heathkit stereo tuner for a guy back in 1971/72 - he bought the kit but chickened out of even attempting it! :D

It was really good fun, I'd love to build another - back then it was entirely discrete, including the multiplex decoder - and it all needed aligning!. The kits and instructions were absolutely superb though! - and even included a small PCB and a few components to practice soldering on!.

Incidently, I can still remember that the American solder smelt different to the normal UK solder, they obviously used different flux.

Truely Heathkit were the best kits ever!.

jro7563

Peterhead is nowhere near Surrey, but if you want to pay the postage I can probably put it together for you.
Send me a PM and we can discuss.

JimB

The noobies need to know how high above a solder joint to hold the iron and solder. Then they let the molten solder drip and fall though the air to land on the joint. That way they become experts at making cold solder joints.

Noobies are attracted to cheap soldering irons that are way too hot. The tip is covered with crap and the flux in the solder instantly vapourises and burns away when touched by the extremely hot iron.

Making kits is pretty simple. Every one I made worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back