Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed: PC lockout timer - ideas required ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBaker

Hi all,

Great forum btw.

I need some help please.....

For days now I've been searching for a Parental Control hardware solution to keep the kids from spending too much time on the PC. Ive already tried various PC software shut-down timers, but these are very easily bypassed by the kids - and by myself when I'm up late some nights gaming on the PC :)

So what I'm after is an electronic hardware timer that would shut down the PC after a given time - of say three hours use, and not allow it to start again for a specified time. Ideally I'd like to be able to programme the timer to shut off over lunchtime, and then again around 10pm, and not come back on until around 9am the next day.

I realise that this project may be a tough nut to crack, but Ive seen various attempts at it already, the best solution being this one (I reckon) >
http://www.pcmoderator.com/wooglabs3_012.htm

http://www.pcmoderator.com/wooglabs3_008.htm
(Screenshot closeup)

Note: The reason why I havent bought this device is because its not available in the UK, only the USA, and I cant persuade the company to ship one to me (damn!)

So can anyone think of a simple way to limit the usage time on a PC without using Windows software? Perhaps a timer soldered onto the motherboard or the PSU?
Or maybe you have something even simpler in mind?
(An earlier thread on this forum mentioned a coin operated PC ...but the kids (and myself) would just put in more coins Wink

Just to mention that I'm not an electronics buff. I do repair PCs for a living, but I'm not an expert with a soldering iron and ciurcuit boards. Hence I'm asking for your help and advice.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob
UK

--

But I have a problem here.

If we connect the timer control circuit through the power button from a small trigger pulse it will shuts down.

But if somebody change options in the control panel---> power options-->when i press the power button--->do nothing.

What will happen?

Press & holding the power button 4seconds also not a good idea here.

Last edited:
But I have a problem here.

If we connect the timer control circuit parallel with the power button from a small trigger pulse it will shuts down.

But if somebody change options in the control panel---> power options-->when i press the power button--->do nothing.

What will happen?

Press & holding the power button 4seconds also not a good idea here.

Hi Gayan.

I was thinking of maybe using this timer >
**broken link removed**
It can be fitted with a built-in battery to save the timer settings.

Would there still be a problem with this setup if the power button was pressed ?

Coming from a different angle, how about if I used the above timer to trigger an alarm after a set time which would force the user to shutdown the PC in order to stop the alarm. The timer would then wait for X hours before killing the feed to the alarm, allowing the user another X hours of PC use before the alarm triggered again.

Take a look at Microsoft SteadyState, I am not sure an electronics solution would be appropiate.

Thanks UT.

I had a look at MS Steady State but it looks to easy too bypass, i.e. there is no restriction for users to re-logon >
**broken link removed**

The timer/alarm method is probably the best way forward (who, after all, would want to continue using the PC past bedtime with an alarm blaring? : )

---------------------------

EDIT >

I finally tracked down a suitable timer with battery backup that I can modify.
I'll probably end up hard-wiring this timer into the monitor.
**broken link removed**
---------------------------
Thanks

Rob

--

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back