Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed on LED driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

him27hk

I hv just found a LED driver from the instructables.

**broken link removed**
The components are:
R1: approximately 100k-ohm resistor
R3: current set resistor - (0.5/R=desired I)
Q1: small NPN transistor (such as: Fairchild 2N5088BU)
Q2: large N-channel FET (such as: Fairchild FQP50N06L)
LED: Luxeon

the Q2 isn't avaliable in my country
Wt other tansistors can i use?
eg. 2SX series
Can i use power mosfet instead of it?

Thx everyone~

hi him,

Ref your diagram, if my notes are correct the drawing of the MOSFET is incorrect, its showing a P channel device, is this the original drawing.

You require a 60v 50amp equivalent enhancement mode, MOSFET N channel.
The S2X series looks suitable.

Whats the specification of the LED's ?

EricG

Last edited:
Eric, I think the symbol is correct. You were probably thinking of the variant where the substrate junction is shown on the body. See
**broken link removed**

Eric,
Here's the article in question. I found it a week or so back whilst looking for something else. Can't say that I've read it yet.

**broken link removed**
Circuits for using High Power LED's

Last edited:
There is no way some LEDs in series need to be driven with a 50A Mosfet! Any N-channel power Mosfet will work or an NPN darlington power transistor will also work.

A 5W Luxeon LED has a max current of less than only 2A.

This regulated current circuit works well:

Attachments

• high voltage LED current sink.png
    high voltage LED current sink.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,059
audioguru said:
There is no way some LEDs in series need to be driven with a 50A Mosfet! Any N-channel power Mosfet will work or an NPN darlington power transistor will also work.

A 5W Luxeon LED has a max current of less than only 2A.

This regulated current circuit works well:
The main difference is that a MOSFET will have marginally more headroom (work with a slightly lower supply), and the bigger the MOSFET, the lower the voltage can go. Smaller MOSFETs require higher gate voltage for a given current. This would probably only be an issue if you were using just one LED. Smaller MOSFETs also have higher IR drop.
I realize that these factors are usually unimportant, but could be in some circumstances.

hi RonH,

The FQP50N06 which the OP has in parts list is a MOSFET N channel, enhancement device.

According to the datasheet gate arrow' should be pointing left.

As you say possibly a variant. ???

EricG
EDIT:
arrow indicating the substrate-to-source and substrate-to-drain junction direction

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
hi RonH,

The FQP50N06 which the OP has in parts list is a MOSFET N channel, enhancement device.

According to the datasheet gate arrow' should be pointing left.

As you say possibly a variant. ???

EricG
Eric, it's actually an arrow indicating the substrate-to-source and substrate-to-drain junction direction. Below is a drawing from the link I had in my previous post.

Attachments

• MOSFET symbols.PNG
    MOSFET symbols.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 830
hi Ron,
Perhaps my more poor wording was not technically accurate, I shouldn't be so sloppy.
Should read as per RonH'
arrow indicating the substrate-to-source and substrate-to-drain junction direction

Hi HouseOfWax.
Thanks for the link, had a look thru, can't understand the OP's difficulty in choosing an alternative.
If he can't source the original device at least he must have its datasheet.

The 2SX series has a similar spec.

Eric
Edited:

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
hi Ron,
Perhaps my more poor wording was not technically accurate, I shouldn't be so sloppy.
Should read as per RonH'
Eric, I wasn't nitpicking your wording. I was pointing out that the symbol in the OP's schematic is correct. Did you look at the drawing I posted? If you have evidence that this is wrong, can you post it?

hi Ron,
Relooked at your dwg, agree top right MOS shows, N channel enhancement MOSFET.

As does my 'copy/paste' from the datasheet for the FQP50N064L, which is listed in the OP's parts list.

Its just that the drawing posted by the OP, shows a 'variant' in that the arrow is in the other direction.
[or am going crazy, (answers on a postcard only, please)]

Ron, I know that you are not nit picking, I welcome our technical interactive posts, hope to have many more!.

Regards
Eric

Comparing the orginal dwg,with your diagrams, 'suggests' a P type depletion, which it cant be???

Last edited:
I agree with Audioguru... why a power mosfet is required? a bipolar should drive a few leds no problem....

ericgibbs said:
hi Ron,
Relooked at your dwg, agree top right MOS shows, N channel enhancement MOSFET.

As does my 'copy/paste' from the datasheet for the FQP50N064L, which is listed in the OP's parts list.

Its just that the drawing posted by the OP, shows a 'variant' in that the arrow is in the other direction.
[or am going crazy, (answers on a postcard only, please)]

Ron, I know that you are not nit picking, I welcome our technical interactive posts, hope to have many more!.

Regards
Eric

Comparing the orginal dwg,with your diagrams, 'suggests' a P type depletion, which it cant be???
One of us is going nuts. Below is a comparison of the various symbols in question. All are of N-channel MOSFETs. All are correct (AFAIK).
I can't see how you equated the OP's symbol with P type depletion.

Attachments

• MOSFET symbols1.PNG
    MOSFET symbols1.PNG
    29.7 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Ron H said:
I can't see how you equated the OP's symbol with P type depletion.

Maybe he did the same thing I did. I saw the symbol on the data sheet, noticed the arrow was different, and guessed the hand-drawn symbol was supposed to represent a P-type. Thanks for clearing this up, I think.

@him27hk:
While members debate the proper symbol:--

Yes you can use a different N-channel power MOSFET.

Tell use more about the current/power you need and maybe give some examples of examples of what you can find easily..

regards,
Mike

mneary said:
@him27hk:
While members debate the proper symbol:--

Yes you can use a different N-channel power MOSFET.

Tell use more about the current/power you need and maybe give some examples of examples of what you can find easily..

regards,
Mike

Thx everyone,

I am going to using the circuit to drive Luxeon V with batteries

Vf.6.8v, @750ma

I hv some IRF510 mosfets,can i use it?(Is any other better subsitution?)

Forgotten to mention, the circuit have a drop out of about 0.6v.
thx

him27hk said:
Thx everyone,

I am going to using the circuit to drive Luxeon V with batteries

Vf.6.8v, @750ma

I hv some IRF510 mosfets,can i use it?(Is any other better subsitution?)

Forgotten to mention, the circuit have a drop out of about 0.6v.
thx
What do you mean by this?
the circuit have a drop out of about 0.6v.

hi him

From what we can 'deduce', you driving 3 off, series connected 6.8Vfwd high power LED's from a constant current source of 700mA.

So the total volts drop across the Luxeon V, 3 LED's is 3 * 6.8= 20.4 Volts.

If you are powering the system from say 24Vdc and you have a current limiting resistor of about 0.67:eek:hm: ,
then the volts drop across the resistor is 0.47V, leaving about 3V across the MOSFET. [when its switched hard on]

So MOSFET, P= 3 * 0.7 = 2.1Watts.

So if you drive a MOSFET or Power transistor hard enough to minimise the switching times.
Then you should have no problem finding a suitable device.

hi RonH, check the 'sums'. Keep well Eric

EDIT: the IRF510 should be OK.

Last edited:
For driving LEDs up to 50 mA, I use LR-12 Packaged in SO-8. constant current mode. Look at supertex datasheet. Use a 24 Ohm feedback resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back