Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed in Identifying Crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigshow1977

Hi

I'm having problems idenitfying this Crystal oscillator from its markings. Does anyone know what this device is and the frequency?

any help gratefully received...

Rgds

Phil

You need a better picture, I can only read parts of it.

In any case, what I can tell you is it's a series cut surface mount crystal. There is no internal oscillator circuitry, it is not a oscillator by it's self. The markings on the top are usually the running frequency, but in this case it does not look to be so.

Try getting a different angle for your picture. Try moving light around. Some times it helps to have two lights. Also more pictures of the rest of the circuit can help identify the running frequency, based of the intended design. IE, the IC that it's attached to most likely has a range of frequency at which it will run from. And some common devices almost always run from a specific frequency.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I'm trying to take a better picture. But for the time being i make out the marking on top to be

AC601637
CTS7A/H5

Does that help?

I agree with ()blivion, this is a crystal (resonator) rather than an oscillator module.

Looking at your picture, C85 and C86 appear to be the load capacitors.

Also looking at the pic, the solder joints at the ends of the crystal look decidedly iffy.

As regards the frequency, no idea.

The most meaningfull link which google finds for AC601637 and CTS7A/H5 is this thread here on ETO !

JimB

Hi,

This looks like a crystal made by CTS Electronic Components. Check out that manu and you should find a data sheet.
The top number would be the manu's part number.
This could have been a custom cut crystal for a certain manufacturer that made the appliance that the crystal was used in (after all this other manu made the circuit board).
From part of the part number it would be around 3.6864MHz but that's not definite either.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes, i added a note that it could be a custom cut for the manu that made the circuit board.
But we're pretty sure it is a crystal, so you could test it yourself.

Last edited:
Showing us the rest of the circuit would be more useful than speculation IMHO. For example, if it's a USB device, it's most likely a 12Mhz xtal. There are other common crystals for other common household devices.

Hi,

Yeah that would be nice too. I was able to glean the frequency from the part number of similar crystals, but that's still just a guess, and on top of that it was a mistaken part number so the frequency is probably not 3.68MHz, maybe closer to 7MHz but yes it could be anything. If it was mine i would simply test it in an oscillator circuit known to be able to oscillate with a crystal.

Last edited:
Hi,

Did anyone ask yet, "what kind of device or appliance is this board from?".

Did anyone ask yet, "what kind of device or appliance is this board from?".

More or less, but in other words than what you used.

bigshow1977, you picture is better, but insufficient. Multiple pictures of the entire board, and at least 1/2 an effort to tell us what it is and what your trying to do exactly are required. We will get nowhere and do so slowly if we keep playing this game of 20 questions.

Incidentally, the IC is a general purpose Motorola microcontroller and unfortunately doesn't really tell us much about the crystal. Your best bet is to take off the crystal and measure it with a oscillator and frequency counter.

Edit: I guess it tells us the max possible speed. Thanks ronv, I missed that point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back