Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed for a 2001 Twingo 1.2 16V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nereus

As the title says i have a problem with my Twingo. Sometimes, mostly when it's cold when I turn the engine on there is an idle problem to the point that the engine stops if i don't rev it. A warning light turns on, and after a mile or so of driving it turns off and the engine works perfeclty. Also quite a lot of white smoke is coming from the exhaust especially when i rev the engine.
Anyone knows what it might be? so far i tried changing the map sensor and the air temperature sensor fun with no luck
03032011472.jpg

What does the white smoke smell like? It is usually either...
Gasoline?
Antifreeze?

If gasoline it is either...
- not getting enough air. check air filter.
- thinks it is not getting enough fuel (and giving more fuel than needed). It could be a bad MAP sensor, bad connector on ?MAP sensor, bad/broken wires to/from MAP sensor, bad oxygen sensor (in the manifold or catalytic converter).

If antifreeze, you have a cracked head or leaking head gasket. Look at the oil cap (710 cap) to see if there is any yellow or pink goo - maybe even white goo that looks like mayo. That is a stable emulsion of oil and glycol. Also, your radiator fan may come on when you think the car should not be overheating - like in February.

That symbol indicates an engine management fault. Suggest you buy a cheep OBD code reader & try recovering the fault code as a starter.

Get a cheap code reader, but don't expect the answer.

The EGR system is something to look at. I had a car that opened the EGR fully on shut down to reduce over run. The solenoid it was attached to was sticking. Temporarily pull the vacuum line to the EGR valve when it happens.

Any number of vacuum leaks and even misfires.

With fault codes the answer is in the interpretation of the fault code. The sensor logging the code may not be at fault, but may be the result of a mechanical fault causing the code to be logged. Too many mechanics blindly replace sensors without checking whether they are actualy faulty. The fact its showing an electrical fault code is a good start & work from there. It may point to a Mechanical fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back