Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed developing USB peripheral using HID class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adester

Hi,

I would be v. grateful for some help.

I am developing a device which is going to be connected to a PC via USB, the function that the device does it relatively simple it will collect some data (1024 x 10 bit bcd strings) in an array, i then need to transfer this data to the a piece of software which i will produce.
I am using an Atmel AVR90 USB micro processor and am programming it with embedded C, the code to perform the task itself is not what is causing me the difficulty. I am not sure how to specify the descriptors for the device, are these specific to the HID class and if so are they standardised for this class?
I have seen some example code for some simple HID applications can I use the same code?
I have also read large chunks of the USB specification including enumeratrion and almost everything realated to the HID class but it all so theoretical and no practical examples.
I really want to get to the stage where I can just concentrate on my functional code as opposed to the USB config code.

If anyone has been through this and feels they can help I will be v. grateful!!!

Look forward to any response.

Can't help with Atmel, but MicroChip provide full examples in their application notes, including programming of the PC end. Presumably Atmel do something similar?.

I purchased "USB Complete" by Jan Axelson... got lost... then looked at her PC side code examples on her website and it all came together. The book and the code examples here should be enough:

**broken link removed**

These examples used with the Microchip and other other PIC compiler HID and CDC libraries should get things going.

Regarding ATMEL, I think they now have a USB module in one of their devices.l

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

I have also got a copy of USB complete but it is a mind field.

I will have a look on lvr.com and the atmel site.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back