Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help, need to figure out how to make a 2v signal go low

Status
Not open for further replies.

infin

in an existing circuit i have:

if i press a momentary button that rests at +5v, it drops down to around +2.3v when pressed.

I want this to trigger a LOW signal on a gate.

What do i need? can it just be done with a resistor? what size?

the 2.3v is not enough to bring the gate low right now.

Thanks!

one side of the button should be pulled up to +5v, using a large value resistor (10k - 100k). The other side of the button should be tied to ground.

connect your gate to the high side of the button.

2.3v sounds like you're shorting your supply across the button, which is not good.

hmm not sure how to explain this, there are 2 parts to this circuit im modding.

one part which rests at +5 and goes to GND when a button is pressed.

the other part which is connected with a phone cord type cable (lots of resistance) rests at 5+ also but only drops to 2.3v when pressed over the length of the cable.

The one that goes to gnd works fine, but the long run cable signal i cant get it to trigger.

hope that clears up why im looking for something to make it trigger at 2.3v

i cant change the circuit that outputs 2.3v when low, so im stuck with the 2.3v to play with.

A comparator is an easy and reliable solution, if not minimalist, and you could do it with a transistor and some discretes also, though it would depend more on the details of your input signal...

But, your description is terribly confusing, and to me it sounds suspiciously like you're shorting your supply rail like justDIY said. Either that, or there's something you're leaving out. You should draw a diagram, because from your description I cannot picture what you are talking about.

hope the picture makes sense to you.

on the left is the circuit that im trying to tap into.

when i press the button on the right, the voltage i get at the aux button is 2.3v. and when the button is open the voltage is 5v.

Attachments

• diag.JPG
    diag.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back