Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.7 or 47, is a common capacitor value. . . so looking at the numbers on it, You can pretty much assume that 4.7 is the Capacitance. . .

The other number left has to be the voltage, so 63V

Electrolytic capacitors are 'CAN' shaped, they have either 2 leads coming from one end (radial) or one lead from each end (axial) and usually have either a + or - sign near one lead to indicate polarity (unless it's non-polarized)

Electrolytics are usually measured in uF (micro-Farads) eg. 1uF, 0.47uF or 22uF etc... etc...

You can find a good tutorial on capacitors here http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/capac.htm

Hope this help you to understand better

Last edited:
fingaz said:
Is it 47uF? or 4.7uF?

Looking at it again I would guess 4.7uF, but it's a bit strange with the comma in there?.

The fact it's an electrolytic (even without seeing it) is obvious from the text you provided, and will be far more obvious from it's appearance.

It's like the difference between a golf ball and a football, it's blindingly obvious if you've ever seen them before.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Looking at it again I would guess 4.7uF, but it's a bit strange with the comma in there?.
The comma is used as a decimal place in some European countries.

What does an English football look like? Pointed ends like the American one or a round soccer (rugby?) ball?

audioguru said:
What does an English football look like? Pointed ends like the American one or a round soccer (rugby?) ball?
English footballs are spherical.

We use the "." character as a decimal place as most of the world does, it's just some eastern Eurpoean countries that don't, maybe Germany? Poland? I don't know.

Hero999 said:
English footballs are spherical.

We use the "." character as a decimal place as most of the world does, it's just some eastern Eurpoean countries that don't, maybe Germany? Poland? I don't know.
I thought "." as the decimal point was an english language thing and "," was the rest of europe. I believe the Japanese use ".".

It never confuses me anymore, I just look for the source if it's not clear.

heck, even football doesn't confuse me - USA and CA are wierd shaped and the rest of the world is round.

I've been to France and they always used a "." on the price tags, I don't know about other countries though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back