Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me with wifi amplifier/antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizala

hello friends ,

i have a DNA A211-i wireless router , it is working fine via LAN and Wi-fi . i want to share my internet connection with my brother .. the distance from the router to my brother's laptop is = about 39 meters . i can connect to my router from my brother's home only when i stand on the roof ...

but the computer can not search my router when i am inside the house ... so please help me to make some kind of antenna for it (for both side ,one at router and 2nd at my brother's laptop)....

please do not tell me to buy some kind of amplifier from the ebay...(i am a student so i did not have money)
i want to make it by my self .... please give me some idea

They're highly directional, the gain is incredible, and they're stupid easy to make.

thenkx for reply ,,, but tell me how to connect that cable to laptop... or it is just for the router???????????? .... will it work if i only put that antenna at the router ???

Got me, it's your laptop. You'd need access to the antenna on the wi-fi card. If your laptop has an internal antenna the only practical way of doing it would be to get an external wi-fi card that has an antenna jack on it. I ran across a website where someone opened up their laptop, removed the old antenna and modified the case of the laptop to have an SMC connector, but that's not a project for the meek. If you can manage to get a cantenna of the appropriate size on the wi-fi card though it'll increase range in the direction it's pointed massivly. They have a gain of around 12db which is for the decibel illiterate a receiving gain of around 1500 percent if they're done right.

If you don't want to open up your laptop this website has one solution. I personally would be a little more comfortable hacking a USB wi-fi adapter over the laptop itself.
**broken link removed**

Something to keep in mind is that these antennas are HIGHLY directional,.

Last edited:
ok i get that .... but will that cantenna work over 173 meters>??????? please reply

**broken link removed** for you to start. I'm thinking it would be best to attach the high-gain antenna to the modem with as short a coax run to your roof as possible. Coax cable loss at 2.4Ghz is high. Maybe you could mount the modem in the attic to keep the coax short. Try it at first with no mods to the laptop, but with all the antenna gain at the modem end... If it doesn't work, then try the high gain antennas at both ends.

Add: Lot of**broken link removed**

Last edited:
yes ..i can put the antenna at both side... (at router and at pc)..... i think it will work....
does any one ever made one like this??? what was your range???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back