Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Me Recognise What Part Is This

Status
Not open for further replies.

zainbintariq

i have lightwave lw-utv usb tv tuner and i messed up with this part it use to have some kind of black rock type material in it which get wasted when i put screwdriver in it so its not tuning any channel now so help me how can i find what part is this and how can i replace it
IMG-20140504-00286.jpg
IMG-20140504-00289.jpg

If you download the datasheet for the TD9801 it appears a tunable crystal oscillator is used around pins 15 and 16. The datasheet references part numbers, but afraid without some test equipment you may have some difficulty tuning it to the correct frequency. I also note the caps look like they are starting to bulge., would replace them as well.

td9801 datasheet is notavailable as i search it on google ,,, could you please give me link of it and i know only problem is with this tunable crystal oscillator because i messed up with it my self but i need to recognise which is it or where can i buy it then i can put in on my own

ok thanks and my last question is where can i buy that and should i need to mention TDA9801 or is there any other number for that oscillator

The broken part is an adjustable inductor, not an oscillator. It most likely also has the capacitor built into its base. Unfortunately, the chances of finding this exact part is very remote. If the inductor has a manufacturer and part number stamped on it, then you have a better chance of finding the exact part. The main companies that make these are Toko and Murata. If you have their part number, then there is a better chance of finding it. On the other hand, you may be able to find the individual inductor and capacitor separately from a supplier such as DigiKey, Mouser or Farnell.

The TDA9801 looks like it could be obsolete, but it's available here: **broken link removed**

The datsaheet shows the possibility of 3 Toko coils depending on what it's used for and country. Coils have been going by the wayside too. These things have ferrite cores and sometimes locked with wax. Adjustments have to be made with plastic tools called alignment tools. Insertion of a metal object changes the frequncy.

As well, its likely some specialized ie spectrum analyzer is going to be needed to tune the frequency required. Or set in the middle and hope it works.

May be just better to find another tuner. From the pics it looks like the caps are bulged as well. Likely on their last legs.

The easiest solution may be to obtain a ferrite slug from another inductor. These are commonly found in transistor radios that were manufactured a few years ago.

Hi Zain,
I had a look for the coils recommended in the TDA9801 datasheet for Europe & USA, in the Toko Website. As Bob & KeepItSimple suspected, these coils are so obsolete that even the Toko site's parts search engine doesn't recognise them.

I think your best bet is a company in the UK, BEC distribution. While their website doesn't list the two TDA9801 specific coils, it does list closely related ones:

https://www.bec.co.uk/new-toko-products/5KM/

(for example the 5KM-369SNAS-2110Z NON ROHS). Have a word with them and there's a good chance that they can supply you with a close equivalent. It may mean buying two coils, one having the same inductance as the coil you're after, and the other having the same capacitance. Then you would exchange the capacitors between the coils and end up with the inductance/capacitance combination which you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back