Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me identify this thing, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, all

I have a device which is believed to be a voltage rectifier. It has no name, no number, no identifying marks and I do not know whether it has additional circuitry. It looks like extruded aluminium cooling fins with an opaque epoxy filler with five wires emanating from it. Just discarding it is unfortunately not an option.

It has five wires, two red wires and two white wires, each with a male spade terminal, and a green wire that connects to nothing (its end is isolated with heat shrink)

I have tested the device for continuity with my multimeter, using the diode test facility. For reference, an open connection gives a reading of 1 on the multimeter, while continuity gives a reading of 0 (with a beep). I have attached a table of values and connections. Hopefully someone can help me identify this device and its connections.

Thanks

Attachments

• Device.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 170
I am tasked with getting a two-stroke engine running. The engine is a Solo with Ducati ignition and Mikuni carburetors, the radiator is a BMW, the starter is a Denso, the engine temperature sensor is unknown but characterised, and there's this.

7V6c2tX.jpg

86LN6G2.jpg

jMCuggH.jpg

The engine is pretty much ready to run. Most of the stuff are assembled, and those that aren't, are accounted for. Except this mystery object.

I inherited the project, and don't know anything else. I have contacted the engine manufacturer, but the parts they say they use look nothing like the parts I have. They even gave me the Bosch numbers for the parts they recommend. It's not my engine, and the owner (a friend of the boss) is trying to spend as little as possible.

It's obviously some sort of module, and possibly custom made? - easy to do and fill it with epoxy resin.

Could be electronic ignition?, could be part of the charging circuit? - but as the engine manufacturer doesn't use that part, you really need to find who added it.

Your best solution might be to return the engine to the manufacturers original electronics?.

Your best solution might be to return the engine to the manufacturers original electronics?.

Yes, if only I knew which one that was...

The engine is used in many a sailplane, jet ski, microlight etc. Sailplane manuals are relatively easy to find. Jet skis and microlights, not so much. Hell, I don't even know what this specific engine is going to be used for.

Thanks anyway.

BTW: Nice avatar.

It is indeed a TCI Module.... Transistorized Controlled Ignition... Google for it.. There are soooo many makes of these things.... Seems as if everyone and his dog has made one.... There are many schematics to make your own..

Only a guess but it might be a generator shunt regulator, some smaller 2 strokes use a shunt reg on a permanent magnet generator, instead of the more usual alty.

Greetings, all

I am just letting you know that, in the end, it turned out to be a voltage regulator (thanks, dr pepper). The two white wires receive the "dirty" signal from the alternator, while the two red wires both connect to the battery's positive terminal; the thin wire is the actuation current, the heavier gauge wire is the charging current. The chassis is the ground, and the green wire drives the optional indicator light.

Thanks

No problem.
The 2 whites will be ac in then, - dc out is the case, and +dc out the thick red, thin red is probably voltage sense.
Connect the indicator if you can, very usefull to know your electrics are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back