Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me find this part and its name

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSeaton

I am working on a progect making an IR led pen for a wii remote whiteboard project and I have all the parts I need except for this one annoying little part that eludes me.

I have a tact switch and I am putting this into a led pen that I am modding. The pen currently has a button on the end but I want to make it have one on the side like a laser pointer. I have the switch, led, wires etc... but I can't find that little rubber button and its driving me insane lol.

I have searched for tact switch cap, cover, button... but no luck.

Can someone tell me what the technical name is or maybe where I could find one that would fit a 6x6mm tact switch? I would like a round rubber one like on the laser pointers you can buy everywhere.

Thanks
John

I think all those are specially made. When I need something like that, I go to the dollar store and buy something I can rip apart.

Try this link:
**broken link removed**
Or Google for "Tactile Switch Key Top" or plunger, actuator, etc.....
Who makes the switch you have? I'm sure they make a Key Top especially for that one also.

kchriste said:
Try this link:
**broken link removed**
Or Google for "Tactile Switch Key Top" or plunger, actuator, etc.....
Who makes the switch you have? I'm sure they make a Key Top especially for that one also.

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck with that either.

MrSeaton said:
I am working on a progect making an IR led pen for a wii remote whiteboard project and I have all the parts I need except for this one annoying little part that eludes me.

I have a tact switch and I am putting this into a led pen that I am modding. The pen currently has a button on the end but I want to make it have one on the side like a laser pointer. I have the switch, led, wires etc... but I can't find that little rubber button and its driving me insane lol.

I have searched for tact switch cap, cover, button... but no luck.

Can someone tell me what the technical name is or maybe where I could find one that would fit a 6x6mm tact switch? I would like a round rubber one like on the laser pointers you can buy everywhere.

Thanks
John

I have tactical switches that has flat tops and some that have a plungers of different lengths, what does yours look like? That would make it easer to visualize what you need and easier to help you.

Its a flat top tact switch with a short plunger. I need a rubber actuator to sit on top of it to poke through a hole in the light pen allowing you to push the switch

MrSeaton said:
Its a flat top tact switch with a short plunger. I need a rubber actuator to sit on top of it to poke through a hole in the light pen allowing you to push the switch

I have made actuators for the ones without the plunger from the tops of pus-pins, they are the little plastic multicolored ones used on cork boards. Why does it have to be rubber?

Because I'm picky and I like the rubber ones. ;)

I guess I doesn't HAVE to be rubber, I just liked the rubber ones and wanted to try and find some.

"Make one?" for a flat tactile switch.

Go to McMaster-Carr and purchase two sheets of rubber. A thick one for the button and a thin one for the support backing. Cut a small square out of the thin sheet. With a paped punch, punch a small "button" out of the thick sheet. With rubber cement(?), super glue(?), Barge cement(?), something appropriate for the material ... glue the button in the center of the small square.
Vwa La!...Rubber button cap!

Just something that the mind comes up with at 4AM. ;)

Ken

KMoffett said:
"Make one?" for a flat tactile switch.

Go to McMaster-Carr and purchase two sheets of rubber. A thick one for the button and a thin one for the support backing. Cut a small square out of the thin sheet. With a paped punch, punch a small "button" out of the thick sheet. With rubber cement(?), super glue(?), Barge cement(?), something appropriate for the material ... glue the button in the center of the small square.
Vwa La!...Rubber button cap!

Just something that the mind comes up with at 4AM. ;)

Ken

AWESOME Idea! That would work. Thanks. Now, why didn't I think of that lol.

Thanks again for that great idea. I'm off the mcmaster's website.

you are the MAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back