Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me find more amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DIYer

I'm in the middle of a project, using one of **broken link removed** 12V Liquid Level Controllers. I need it to operate around 8 solenoids, but it won't handle that many, it's only capable of 5A output. The LLC is run off a 12V marine battery, so i've got plenty of amps there, it's the LLC that's choking me. That's about where I'm stuck. So does anyone know how to get that device capable of around 15A?... Or, have it control something that is capable of that many amps, and have that device pop all the solenoids i need it to? Could some configuration of wiring the solenoids to the battery alleviate the burden on the LLC?

Thanks in advance

On your LLC (liquid level controller) board there is a relay with 5A rating. And you have a 15A load.
There are large relays that have 15 to 30A contact ratings and have 12v coils. Automotive relays for example. So use your LLC to send 12V power into the coil of a 30A relay. And that relay powers the 8 loads.

In my truck the flasher relay is 20 or 30A and I have seen headlight relays that are much bigger.

I dont want to sound like a lurker, however I suggest that you use a sealed or marine application relay in the same manner as ron mentioned, for the simple reason that on a boat there is a possibility of explosive gas or fume build up in the hull, this is more important if the device can operate while the craft is unattended.

here in the UK there are rules and guidelines for such things, which can be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back