Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me find an 8 bit parallel-to-serial converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thalia

hi,
am looking for an 8bit parallel-to-serial converter in chip form. So far have been only to track down the 4bit one. i dont want the headache of cascading them..please help me find one with the data sheet as well.

thalia said:
hi,
am looking for an 8bit parallel-to-serial converter in chip form. So far have been only to track down the 4bit one. i dont want the headache of cascading them..please help me find one with the data sheet as well.

Your requirements are far too vague, you don't specify what either the parallel or serial requirements are - and both are absolutely vital!.

What EXACTLY are you trying to do?.

8-bit parallel-to-serial converter cleared up

hi nigel, i apologise about being vague there.
i intend to use the 8-bit parallel-to-serial converter to convert 8 bits received from the output of the Vd364 voice recognition module into serial form. I shall then program the micro to read this for an output.

You also answered my question about it being possible to use a micro with two UARTs. thankyou...

I think i've found my part: the DM74165N from national semiconductor. do you think it's adequate? for the 8-bit parallel-to-serial converter that is.

Re: 8-bit parallel-to-serial converter cleared up

thalia said:
hi nigel, i apologise about being vague there.
i intend to use the 8-bit parallel-to-serial converter to convert 8 bits received from the output of the Vd364 voice recognition module into serial form. I shall then program the micro to read this for an output.

You also answered my question about it being possible to use a micro with two UARTs. thankyou...

I think i've found my part: the DM74165N from national semiconductor. do you think it's adequate? for the 8-bit parallel-to-serial converter that is.

What handshake lines does the VD364 provide?, you can't have a parallel data connection without some form of handshaking. How would these handshake lines interface to the 74165?.

I'm presuming you don't have enough free I/O lines on the micro to read the device directly?.

As you are already using a micro, have you considered using another one for the parallel to serial conversion?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back