Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me find a rheostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil68

hello, i have the following motors: **broken link removed** , they are going to be ran off of 5 AA batteries and i need to have a variable speed for them and i went to radio shack and they had a 25 ohm rheostat they said should work, but it only works and varies the speed for about 1/16 of a turn and it is all they have. none of the hobby stores can help me. all i need is a dial to control this, any one know of any

thanks

i was also told to look into a pwm and look on ebay, i dont know what these are and i was looking to spent around 10 bucks on the switch if possible

go to www.digikey.com

choose a rheostat rated for at least 4 amps.

measure the resistance of the rheostat you have when it stops the motor and order one with that resistance or slightly higher.

A pwm controller (basically a switch that turns on and off very quickly) would be much more efficient but also more complex and expensive.

How long do your AA's have to run this motor; I'm guessing you will get about 5min.

I was thinking i may want to run 4 D cell batteries at 6 volts do you think the run time will be much longerthat way? what is the cost of a pwm for this size application, got a link to one?

MikeMl, 4 amps is the stall current of the motor. At 7.2 V no load current spec says
< 221 ma. Rated load current < 556 ma. if the motor is being slowed I would expect the current to be less than that.

I expect the AA batteries will last quite a bit longer than 5 min. More like 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back