Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me clarify the test requirement of British Defense Standard 59-47 re fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmyguo3o

Here I go again, a non-native speaker confused about phrasing in a standard. This bit from British Defense Standard 59-47 describes how fungus resistance ratings are assigned.

Extent of Growth:
1 = growth not, or hardly visible to the naked eye, but clearly visible under a microscope with a nominal magnification of 50X, on any of the three specimens.

I'm confused by the word "any" in a sentence that is neither all negative nor all positive. Do I assume correctly that rating 1 is assigned if:
1) at least on one of the 3 samples, the growth is invisible or hardly visible to the naked eye, but clearly visible under a microscope; and
2) (implicit part) on all of the samples, the growth is not more severe than that?

1/ Your understanding is correct.

2/ Probably. There is presumably more to this specification, so if there is more severe growth then the "Extent" becomes 2 or 3 or ...

JimB

Thank you JimB! This is actually a quote from another document that quotes the standard in question (which I cannot find online), so not much more context here. But 2) would be logical to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back