Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me bring a Technics SE-A70 amp back to life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viking4464

Hello, I have acquired a Technics SE-A70 amp for a very good price, however it has a problem, and I was hoping that one of you tech savvy folks could help me troubleshoot. I am getting no sound, this amp has a "Safety Operation" light that is supposed to flash 8 times then stay lit if everything is A-ok. If there is a problem it will just continue to flash rapidly, and that is what it's doing. I have attached a stock photo of what the amp looks like as well as an excerpt from the manual that describes what is happening. I have also posted a link to the manual. I am relatively new at this, I have managed to fix a few other vintage recievers, replacing caps, transistors and the like. I just have a hard time making heads or tails of these schematics lol. I just need a place to start and some guidance. Any help is greatly appreciated!https://www.mediafire.com/file/dtnznmvwdnz/technics_se-a70_sm_[ET].pdf

Attachments

• overload.jpg
    overload.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 719
  • sea70catalog.jpg
    sea70catalog.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 986
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a **broken link removed** that might answer your questions. While Technics tried to make a name for themselves (Panasonic), their products never stood up to Marantz, SAE, Phase Linear, Rotel, Luxman and other similar quality brands back then. Pioneer, Kenwood, and Technics were on an even keel with each other... more fancy looks than real performance. Try not to dump too much money into it. Those era Japanese products can be bought for next to nothing quite often.

Last edited:
No offense but, are you kidding me? Pioneer was one of the leaders in performance/quality in the "Silver Era" As for Technics they were right up there. From what I've read about this family of amps, they are very highly regarded and not cheap.

None taken ... but if you consider the avg. quality of construction, components, and design of many Japanese brands they perform pale in comparison to the likes of Revox, Otari, Nakamichi, Tandberg, SAE, Soundcraftsman, McIntosh, Bryce, Crown, Phase Linear, Carver, BGW, JBL, Klipshe, Magnepan, Ampex, Luxman, Bang & Olufsen, Blaupunkt, etc. Heck, even my 600w Heath-kit power amp spanks Pioneer's largest power amp in numerous ways, and by a mile too!
Sony, Sherwood, Pioneer, Technics, Onkyo, Sansui, Denon (newer), Marantz (newer), Kenwood are just a few brands that shouldn't be sharing the shelving in hi-fi showrooms that carry the above mentioned quality brands. It's like parking a Mercedez next to a Kia. Throughout the years, I've either owned or repaired one or more of all the brands I mention above so I'm aware of the quality and sonic differences between various brands and models. To listen to an SAE preamplifier, SAE power amp, a Revox CD player, through a set of JBL Studio Masters or Klipshorns is practically breathtaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back