Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help making a set of external computer speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we de-solder the knobs from the chip do we have to worry about the metal melting and getting on the rest of the chip?

bmclaughlin said:
When we de-solder the knobs from the chip do we have to worry about the metal melting and getting on the rest of the chip?
If you are talking about removing the pots from the PCB (printed circuit board); yes you have to worry about it. It is metal so I can cause shorts if it gets in the wrong places. But it usually don't stick, so it can easily be removed.

Just have the solder sucker ready in the other hand. As soon as the solder melts it'll look like a "blob" and can be sucked up then. Solder normally doesn't melt into a puddle since it cools off before it gets a chance to run, plus it'll only stick to hot bare metal which the rest of the board hopefully won't be.

Learn some soldering basics through a Google search and practice on scrap wires until you get the feel for it.

We finished the radio.

I (this is the son now) learned how to desolder and solder things from circutboards well enough so that I desoldered the knobs from the cirutboard of the computer speakers and attached them with velcro to the old radio. I also attached the speakers with velcro so that if there ever any problems the parts come out easily.

The tuning dial is the volume knob, the lower right knob is power, and the lower left knob is tone.

Thanks for all the help you have given.

Attachments

• 1_126_2669.jpg
    1_126_2669.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 1_126_2668.jpg
    1_126_2668.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 1_126_2671.jpg
    1_126_2671.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 1_126_2672.jpg
    1_126_2672.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 128
Hey, the finished project looks good. . .

Just hope you had fun doing it, and it's not put you off learning more

I love it when we succeed in helping someone to finish a project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back