Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying transistor array "M8715"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomizett

Long shot here folks, but...
I'm trying to identify a component in a circuit that I'm working on (it's the function generator mentioned in my other thread under "repair"). It's an 8-pin PDIP, marked "M8715 <newline> J412"; the manufacturer's logo is a couple of vaguely n-shaped squiggly lines one above the other - is that National Semi?
It's identified on the silkscreen as "TR1", so I assume it's a transistor array. It certainly measures out like one, looking like 2xNPN but with a resistance of about 500k in parallel with (what appear to be) C and E. Only 6 pins are connected.

I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm what this might be, in case I'm mistaken. I'm particularly curious about this "resistance" showing up across C and E. It appears to be wired as an LTP.
Actually, I suspect that the part is not faulty but it would be nice to have a more definite idea of how it should behave.

Thanks in anticipation...

I don't think there were many "transistor array" parts, but look here: **broken link removed**

M8715 MAY be a date code: 15th week of 1987

Oops, I didn't catch the 8 pin DIP. Dual transistors are possible.

I did find a J412 FET in a DIE package.n Not sure if it's dual.

Last edited:
I haven't looked it up or anything, so could be way off the mark here. If the device is anywhere near the power supply or sub supply, could it simply just be a 7815 voltage regulator in a pdip package?

Well... I've just repaired the original fault, which was simply down to a dry joint.
I'm pretty sure that it's a dual NPN as I originally suggested. I substituted a pair of BC337s, and the ciruit just about worked - albeit terribly badly. The resistance between C and E seems very unstable when measured with a meter - drifty with temperature maybe? Could it even be something more obscure like a UJT?

Whatever it is, let's just hope it doesn't fail anytime soon.
Thanks for the suggestions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back