Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying this Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

Hi all,

I've recently attempted to repair an old computer accelerator card and have traced the fault to an SMD diode which had a damaged end-cap. However, I'm a little lost with regard to finding a replacement for the diode as I'm unsure of it's markings. Take a look at the picture I've taken and, if anything jumps to mind, I'd appreciate some comments on it.

Brian

Attachments

• diode_102.jpg
    diode_102.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 849
Mind you, I'm only assuming this component is a diode due to the thick grey line which I'm assuming identifies the cathode connection of a diode.

Brian

I would say that is a tantilum capacitor

What pad size did it come off
would help identify whether it is a diode or a tant capacitor

A Tantilum capacitor is similar to an electrolytic isn't it? Which means that it must be fitted with the correct polarity, which would explain the thick grey line. The pads were fairly small, they protrude a couple of mm wider than the component itself to allow soldering.

Would the 100-10 mean 100uf, 10V or something like that then?

Brian

I think you're right actually Styx. After reading your advice I did some digging around and found this: **broken link removed**

Look second picture down and there's a picture of the exact component I'm looking for - and it's identified as an SMD capacitor.

I'm assumung the 100-10 means 100uf 10V. The 10V part would make sense in my case as I've taken another look at the equipment which it came off and it appears it's across a 5V line.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
I'm assumung the 100-10 means 100uf 10V. The 10V part would make sense in my case as I've taken another look at the equipment which it came off and it appears it's across a 5V line.

100uF in that pkg seems unrealistic. I'm having a hard time guessing the size of that cap but 100uF is pretty large, I'm not using to seeing SMD caps made that big.

Me neither, but it is actually quite a large SMD capacitor which is another reason why I first thought it might be a high current diode or something. I have another working board with that component fitted - I think the only way to know for sure is to whip it out and measure it.

Excuse the pun!

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
Me neither, but it is actually quite a large SMD capacitor which is another reason why I first thought it might be a high current diode or something. I have another working board with that component fitted - I think the only way to know for sure is to whip it out and measure it.

Excuse the pun!

Brian

Thermal, these are very common.
Also typical are the AVX brand of tantalum caps.. look the same as that but are yellow.

Cap

I think you will find it is a 1206 package SMD and it is 100uF at 10V.......
Some of the SMD packages are even smaller than this one.. :D

Re: Cap

rigdoctor99 said:
I think you will find it is a 1206 package SMD and it is 100uF at 10V.......
Some of the SMD packages are even smaller than this one.. :D

No. That is at least a CaseC and they are bigger then 1206
Tants are sized in case size

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back