Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Identifying Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXTech

Hi all! I have this aluminum electrolytic cap I need replaced, but I have No Clue where to find it. All I know is, it's 47 Pico-Farads. This is what it reads:

EFC
K66

Anybody have any idea on the part number and or how to identify it?

Thanks!!!!! :D

PBXTech said:
Hi all! I have this aluminum electrolytic cap I need replaced, but I have No Clue where to find it. All I know is, it's 47 Pico-Farads. This is what it reads:

EFC
K66

Anybody have any idea on the part number and or how to identify it?

Thanks!!!!! :D

That doesnt sound right. Either it is not electrolytic or it is not 47 Pico-Farads. There is a family of metal film capacitors that have an EFC designator. Did you measure it to determine that it is 47pF?

Can you show a picture?

Unfortunately no :(
I thought maybe the 'EFC' part was the manufacturer, but when I typed that in to the search engine, it came up with 'Electronic Film Capacitors' and it's definitely not a film cap. I also searched all the major capacitor manufacturers products, but that didn't get me anywhere either...

Response to Optikon:

It could Not be an electrolytic? I'm just guessing that's what it is because it looks like all the other electrolytic caps. I was also just guessing about the 47 pico-farads, because I had seen on one of the identification sites, that when the caps have two digits, it usually means that's pico-farads. But, who knows, not me obviously! haha :)

And, no, didn't measure it. Don't have a tool to do so.
Are the EFC metal film caps in the shape of a can, like the aluminum electrolytic ones?

No voltage rating, at least not designated like 47u or 47uF or anything. It's just the can thing, with the black polar line on the side, and then reads
EFC
K66

And, I don't think I can get a pic on here, I've tried at other forums and such but it never works. I could email it to you though.

In order to say it was 47 pico, it would have to say 470 I would think.

ETA: could it be some kind of old-school polystyrene capacitor? I've seen black lines on axial polyester caps so that might not mean it's necessarily polar.

Last edited:
I dunno.. that's just what the one website said.
It could be an old-school polysterene cap, I think this is a pretty old device? But, it's not axial. Do these polysterene caps come in the SMD can style?

If it's an electrolytic capacitor you could build an astable 555 timer oscillator, measure frequency output and calculate its value using the formula.

Hi PBXTech,

There's a considerable difference between a 47 pF and a 47 µF
capacitor, if you can give us only part of the schematic every
one of us should be able to tell you whether it is a 47 pF or a
47 µF capacitor. You could start by telling us what other parts
are connected to this capacitor. What circuit is it, is it an
amplifier, a television, a motherboard from a computer . . . . .
What about the dimensions of the part, is it big or small ?
Does it have a polarity ? Are there other similar parts on the pcb ?
A picture would be nice, try putting it on a scanner, here's an
example of what you might expect.

on1aag.

Attachments

• Scan Test.JPG
    Scan Test.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 221
best guess so far is 47uF (not pF) and use a voltage rating as high as you can get in the package that fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back