Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Identifying a Radio Filter from Vacuum Cleaner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richieH

Hi,

I am new with electronic background, but not in this type of thing. I have a KerStar Vacuum cleaner and it tripod the house, so on opening it up I found the following blown inside. The way it is wired would suggest it's some sort of Radio Filter Cap.

Tried Farnell with the numbers, but not having much luck. Can someone point me in the direction of what I would need to get my Vac up and running again.

0,15uF X2a
2 x4700pF Y b
250V SH

Pictures attached. It has 2 wires.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
If it's faulty you would probably need to replace it with the proper spare from the manufacturer, or a similar part from another make.

However, it's only for interference suppression, so you should be able to bypass it to prove that the motor isn't damaged.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the reply. I have confirmed the motor works fine bypassing the filter. I just wondered if someone could recommend a spare equivalent. It's umber expensive from manufacturer which makes it not worth replacing.

thanks
Rich

I believe this cap has 3 legs and is used on the power line.
Inside it has 3 capacitors.
2---4700pf and 1---0.15uf
The caps are rated for Y and 2X which is from line to ground and line to line.
I have something like it made by Wima.

Pictures attached. It has 2 wires.
The mouting strap is probably the the 3rd leg going to ground. Is it soldered to something on the cap?

Last edited:
Hi Ron. What product do you have? Can you supply to me?

4pyros: doh.. Of course, 3 pins as one is ground! It was years ago I did my degree in electronics and it's easy to miss the obvious!

Thanks

RON: Failing finding something similar. Can you give me a brief overview of what 3 caps I need to buy and where to wire them to :) Thanks.

I use these capacitors to filter switching power supplies.
Don't put any 250V cap on the power line.
A cap with the marking "X" or "2X" is made to go across the power line. X=across
A cap with the marking "Y" is made to go from line to ground and are used in pairs. Y=line to gnd + line to gnd.
You could pull parts from a old dead power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back