Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying a part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smanches

Can anyone help me identify this part. I'm pretty sure it's a TVS, but I'm unsure of any other details. I also can't find what I'm assuming is the manufacturers logo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- smanches

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 276
From here:
http://www.advanced-tech.com/ic_logos/ic_logos.htm
...it appears the logo is Littelfuse.
Searching the site for "BP" and "8P" turns up too many hits for me to go through right now, but if you look at the link for TVS diodes, there are images similar to what you have and it is a start for you:
**broken link removed**

HTH,
Mick.

That was the start I needed. Thank you very much!

The list of logos I was looking at didn't have LittleFuse. :(

Little Fuse? Maybe but if a part is labeled D17 then think diode. If a part has a white line on one end think diode or polarized cap.

A TVS is basically a Zener diode. I've already confirmed it is a TVS from LittleFuse based on their site.

Yea, I had already identified it as a SMAJ16A. My diode tester shows it has a 0.6V drop in one direction, so it must be unidirectional. I would suspect a bi-directional TVS wouldn't test in either direction since it's two zeners back to back, right?

I should actually read more and skim less.....
Upon closer inspection of the catalog, a "BP" marking refers to a uni-directional device and an "XP" marking would refer to a bi-directional device.

What reason did you have to ID this device and what piece of equipment is it installed in, along with any fault symptoms?

I think I have probably gone as far as I can on this, but answers to these questions may help other member to solve your issue.

Kind regards,
Mick.

My issue is completely solved with the information you provided. The main thing I needed was the manufacturer so I could attempt to ID the markings. As you noted the BP marking denotes a uni-directional TVS.

Again, thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back