Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help identify these **56K beware**

Status
Not open for further replies.

earz_cd

this may be impossible for some/easy for others - i'm a newb so i'm not sure. I took a LED taillight apart from a wrecked motorcycle and need help indentifying 2 pieces of the circuit. the LED's and resistors are not a problem, but if anyone can shed some light on what the name and function of the 2 mystery pieces it would be greatly appreciated. (sorry for the large pix)

Attachments

• component_zoom.jpg
    component_zoom.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 872
  • taillight_close_2.jpg
    taillight_close_2.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 884
  • taillight_2.jpg
    taillight_2.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 874
I don't really know what they are, but the labeling does suggests that they are diodes and zener diodes. Try running diode tests across them.

checkmate said:
I don't really know what they are, but the labeling does suggests that they are diodes and zener diodes. Try running diode tests across them.

like i said - i'm a newb. i'm not quite sure how i would do that. I know i need a DMM, but what kind of readings am i looking for?

I would say the ZD1 is a Zener Voltage regulator, and the 2 Diodes are general purpose 1amp or slighly more.

JC - 2J -> BAL74 (Siemens) SOT23 fast switch diode 50V 0.25A
27C -> 27 Volt zener diode - Mf unknown - Power unknown
at least 27V is what the book says, but i'm unsure how a 27V diode would end up on a motocycle...

Exo said:
JC - 2J -> BAL74 (Siemens) SOT23 fast switch diode 50V 0.25A
27C -> 27 Volt zener diode - Mf unknown - Power unknown
at least 27V is what the book says, but i'm unsure how a 27V diode would end up on a motocycle...

that can't be right b/c SOT23 is a three prong SMD and the JC-2J above is only two prong.

and the circuit is not made by the motorcycle manufacturer. It has a KOITO marking on the board.

earz_cd said:
that can't be right b/c SOT23 is a three prong SMD and the JC-2J above is only two prong.

and the circuit is not made by the motorcycle manufacturer. It has a KOITO marking on the board.

Sot 23 is the size (2 by 3 mm) - 2 or 3 prong - it has the same name

i don't care who made it. it came of a motocycle and they run on 6V, 12V ?? - why would they use a 27V zener in that ? ...
but the databook says 27C - zener 27V

Hope there is no DC/Dc converter in there.

Zeners are used as protection for other devices and in such case the zener voltage is higher than dc voltage.

Gajanan Phadte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back