Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identify a part

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefranchise

Hi all. I'm trying to fix my Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick. i'd buy a new one but they were discontinued 2 years ago and nobody makes one worth a damn since.

any who, the part that went bad is a potentiometer for the Z twist axis. it spikes all over when turned so i know its bad and backed it up by probing the part as its turned. its a cheap lil plastic square with 10k resistance at max deflection. i dont know who sells parts or other details other than that. the part has only 2 things on it:
19 C C.

here is a pic of it. its tiny, maybe 9-10mm square
**broken link removed**

thats it. any ideas or help?

resistor

it seems your title is rather mis leading, you have stated that you do not know what the part is

The part is mini Potentiometer.

I suggest:

If you cannot find a exact replacement, you will have buy a standard Potentiometer and make some modifications.

look on the internet and look for linear Potentiometer, with a built in shaft rated at 10k ohms. If you cannot extract the knob of the old one and transfer it, you will have to buy a matching knob.

Solder the pot, and make sure you mount it the correct way, maximum resistance when fully wound clock/anti clockwise.

Hope this helps

MCM Electronics and other suppliers offer a control cleaner called DeOx-it. It has saved many a pot. and switch for me that would have rendered an item just about worthless. You might want to try using the stuff first before you go searching for a suitable replacement. The solution really works well and keeps the control working long afterwards.

Hi thefran,

Since you have not listed your location, I am only guessing (due to the "any who") you are in US.

Go to your friendly Radio Shack outlet. They have a bag of assorted pots, some of which are physical look-alikes to your pot. There are several value ranges in the assortment. Perhaps you'll get lucky.

If you don't find a match, you're only out a few bucks and have a good start on a junk box.

AllVol

"Good morning, HiTech", he said, ducking away from his monitor.

Good Morning to you my Smoky Mountain, hillbilly friend.... no need to duck! I remember vacationing at Ruby Falls, Lookout Mountain, and Rock City as a young boy. I was very amused by Fat Man's Squeeze and the overlook!
**broken link removed** **broken link removed**

Spent time in Chatanooga, Murphreesboro, Nashville ('Ol Opry House). Last time I saw your state was from 33,000 feet travelling at 500mph on my way back from Miami!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back