Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help! Having trouble sourcing a capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edders

Ok.

Recently i bought a dreamcast console of ebay . now this being an ebay console and me being me the first time i powered it up it promptly started spitting out smoke. i opened it up and found a capacitor to be at fault. it was fairly obvious as the top was split open.

childs play to replace really, or at least it would be if i could find the flippin thing.

it appears to be electrolytic.
200V
100uF

it also has KMG written on it and (M)105°c
0 (2)
3 Q
i dont know if they mean anything appart from the obvious temperature but figured they may be of help.

ive searched Maplin, Rapid and am about to search CPC but cant find it in any so any help would be greatly appreciated.

well on the bottom of the case it says its a PAL machine and that its rated for 220-240v 50~60 Hz 0.27A .so as far as i can tell its a uk machine.

entirely possible that someone switched out the power supply but why if the machine is in the uk.

but anyway , would i be able to use a capacitor that has the same capacitance but a different max voltage rating? if so that would make it so much easier to source.

100uf CAP >200VDC

As long as the voltage rating is higher not lower, it will work. Size would be the determining factor.

These people sell them, and if I could read german I would help you further, **broken link removed**.

I gather from the various numbers that they are 1.92Euro each...

Edit: Digi-key has them, or rather 'had' them. See here.
They claim that that particular model has been discontinued and the replacement is this one.
They are US$1.02 each. It's exactly the same it's just the RoHS Replacement.

Edit2: Re Nigel - I once was presented with one of those water filters and chiller things, it was obvious that the power supply had had it, the cause was 2*100uF 200V Capacitors in parallel on the hot side of the SMPS one of them died and took out a fair amount else with it too.
I realise designers these days wan't to make things cheap rather than work well but it sometimes goes too far, it's a disgrace.

Last edited:
erosennin said:
Edit2: Re Nigel - I once was presented with one of those water filters and chiller things, it was obvious that the power supply had had it, the cause was 2*100uF 200V Capacitors in parallel on the hot side of the SMPS one of them died and took out a fair amount else with it too.

You mean in series, not in parallel - which is why I asked if there was more than one. It's how PC PSU's usually work, for 230V they use two 'low' voltage capacitors in series, for 120V they use them to form a voltage doubler.

Yes, that's what I mean... sorry, I was in a rush to get some 'zzz' haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back