Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help!!! H bridge IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

microzone

Can I use 2 phase H bridge driver (M3479-P) to drive an 4 phase bipolar stepper motor (M42SP-7)? It is because I cannot find a 4 phase H bridge driver. Do you have any idea? Thanks.

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 287
  • MC3479-D.PDF
    182.1 KB · Views: 425
No that chip drives bipolar motors and that's a unipolar motor. There are lots of designs for driving unipolar motors. If you know microcontroller programming, you can put a driver together for fairly cheap - ULN2003 plus a small uC.

Note, on some motors, you might be able to seperate the unipolar wiring to get a bipolar stepper. Do you have this motor already? If so, take a look at the connector. I think its a 5 wire motor so it may not be possible. If not, I'd go salvage one from a broken (and free) printer. Laser printers are a nice source of lots of scrounged parts.

I love the motor's datasheet - number one feature is "high torque output". who are they kidding??

Last edited:
philba said:
No that chip drives bipolar motors and that's a unipolar motor. There are lots of designs for driving unipolar motors. If you know microcontroller programming, you can put a driver together for fairly cheap - ULN2003 plus a small uC.

Note, on some motors, you might be able to seperate the unipolar wiring to get a bipolar stepper. Do you have this motor already? If so, take a look at the connector. I think its a 5 wire motor so it may not be possible. If not, I'd go salvage one from a broken (and free) printer. Laser printers are a nice source of lots of scrounged parts.

I love the motor's datasheet - number one feature is "high torque output". who are they kidding??

Thanks, Philba. I think my motor is a bipolar stepper motor because it has 4 wires and its datasheet also mention it is a bipolar stepper motor. Can you please check for me? Can you suggest a H bridge IC to me? Thank you first for your kind help. :)

4 wires would be bipolar. the datasheet says Unipolar on page 2 and the outline drawing shows a 5 pin connector.

I'd believe the motor, probably a different datasheet.

so, that controller chip should work ok for the stepper motor.

philba said:
4 wires would be bipolar. the datasheet says Unipolar on page 2 and the outline drawing shows a 5 pin connector.

I'd believe the motor, probably a different datasheet.

so, that controller chip should work ok for the stepper motor.

Thanks philba for your kind reply. I still not yet buy the H bridge IC but I'll buy it and test it as soon as possible. If I have a good news I'll tell you. Thanks for your help. :)

Guys, I'm making a position and speed control system for dc motor. what do u reckon which motor driving is the best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back