Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Guitar Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbenz

Hi,
I have to do a class project: a "guitar tuner", but without using IC's, only transistors.

If someone could just tell me what I need ,or links of schematics I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

ICs are used today. Transistors might have been used a few hundred years ago.

Why not build a simple transistorized tone oscillator tuned to 440hz? You can use it to tune the A string and from there all other strings are tuned in standard guitar tuning fashion... just as you would do when using a 440hz tuning fork.

I saw a very interesting guitar tuner a while ago. It consisted of an oscillator that flashed an LED at 440Hz but with very short duration. You held the device near the string and it acted like a stroboscope. When the string looked stationary it was tuned.

Mike.

Transistors might have been used a few hundred years ago.

Was that the lightning Key junction device?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Do you mean some thing like the attachment?

I have one of those. It's extremely accurate but its fragile and buggy. For example, on of LEDs on mine isn't nearly as bright as the other.

Attachments

• SOS.jpg
    SOS.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 208
Do you mean some thing like the attachment?

I have one of those. It's extremely accurate but its fragile and buggy. For example, on of LEDs on mine isn't nearly as bright as the other.

That is because it is made cheaply. There is no reason that something like this couldn't be extremely accurate and reliable. It would be a very good solution to the OPs problem.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back