Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help getting rid of flux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know wheter cleaning the lux off helps or not. I tend to do it because it looks neater but I don't know if there's a real reason for doing it. I've seen plenty of boards in electronic appliances with small amounts of flux still left on the joints and it doesn't do any harm. I was under the impression that flux only acts as an acid when it's liquid. Which is generally the case with acid base reactions. Try mixing citric acid and sodium bicarbonate powder together, notice how they don't react? Now pour on water and watch it fizz.

OK this is how it goes:-
1)Lean to solder (I'm not saying that you can't)
2)Unless you are using very sensitive components, don't worry. It's only for cosmetic reasons. Honest, I know, I'm am an engineer for the UK MOD.
Oh yes as philba recommends, always have a few beers before even looking at a soldering iron!

Last edited:
n.house said:
OK this is how it goes:-
1)Lean to solder (I'm not saying that you can't)

I usually solder either stood or sat straight up! :D

2)Unless you are using very sensitive components, don't worry. It's only for cosmetic reasons. Honest, I know, I'm am an engineer for the UK MOD.

Sorry, but that doesn't inspire confidence - considering the way the army works! - "you, you, you and you - you're now engineers, report for a little training".

actually, the uk forces have some of the best engineers on the planet at their disposal...I have met loads and worked alongside a good few of them over the years...I tell ya..these guys know how to get a job done at 2am when they are up to their ass in it...
In saying that of course, I have met a few, that can't even remember to keep fuel in the genny... :)

I'm not in the army, I'm an electronic engineer (private company) that is currenty working on missile lauch systems for subs, Oh the lights have gone out, must be that gen again...........

Oh yes, I've just seen the other prob. Please add "r" as requied. Nice comment though, but I did post @ 1.00 in the morning (or there abouts).

LOL, well now that you guys are done telling me i dont know how to solder. Id like to rebut. I used to solder the right way, but my problem is that i just dont have that 3rd hand there to hold everything togeather. Its just a pain to clamp it all up. But i know what your all saying... Doing it the right way does make it soo much better, just not always as easy.. LOL

markland556 said:
LOL, well now that you guys are done telling me i dont know how to solder. Id like to rebut. I used to solder the right way, but my problem is that i just dont have that 3rd hand there to hold everything togeather. Its just a pain to clamp it all up. But i know what your all saying... Doing it the right way does make it soo much better, just not always as easy.. LOL

If you've ever done it the correct way you wouldn't have gone back to 'baby spooning' - learn to solder properly, as it is what you're doing couldn't really be considered as 'soldering' at all.

I know it often feels like you need three hands, but a little thought soon helps you overcome that - without even considering the many simple aids available these days.

Try the solder between your index finger and thumb, and the little finger of the same hand holding the component in place, while you hold the soldering iron in your other hand.

its usally more iwth holding wires in place if they need to be a certain distance out. But im dolering like a pro now. Id go take pics but i dont want to make myself look anymore retarded then iv already done.

Markland, don't let people give you a hard time. There is a clamp device called a third hand (well thats what we call it at work) You can get it from RS and it's quite good.

Last edited:
The best way is to poke the leads through the PCB, bend them back slightly, then cut them so the're about 5mm above the board. Put the PCB in a clamp then solder the componants in, cut off the excess leads and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back