Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help getting fan to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocanon

Does anybody know why I cannot get these fans to turn on? I bought a set of 7 Delta fans from a server computer, part number: FFB0412SHN-SP01 They were all wired up together and I was thinking I could take them apart and connect them to my 3-wire fan on a power supply I have. The fan that is in the power supply is the exact same fan except it only has 3 wires. But no matter what wires I connect to +12v and ground I cannot seem to get the things to turn on at all, they just do nothing. First I tried the obvious, black to ground and red to +12v but nothing happened. Then I experimented around with all different configurations but cannot get the fans to do anything. The four wires are black, red, yellow, and blue. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Attachments

• FFB0412SHN-SP01 x7.JPG
    FFB0412SHN-SP01 x7.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 384
  • FFB0412SHN-SP01.JPG
    FFB0412SHN-SP01.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 354
  • wires.JPG
    wires.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 304
Have you measured the available voltage both off load and with the Fan connected? Got 12V? I suspect you simply do not have the 0.5A available to run it, either that or the wrong voltage available, perhaps only 5V. On these fans, Red is +12V, Black is Gnd, Blue is Tacho output and Yellow is Thermal sense on these.

Have you measured the available voltage both off load and with the Fan connected? Got 12V? I suspect you simply do not have the 0.5A available to run it, either that or the wrong voltage available, perhaps only 5V. On these fans, Red is +12V, Black is Gnd, Blue is Tacho output and Yellow is Thermal sense on these.

I have a few working fans that I put on the same power supply and they work fine so it's not the DC power supply. I am powering them by connecting them directly to 12v of a regulated 12v power supply plugged into the wall. I wonder if they fans are just plain broken, but every single one broken seems unlikely. I tested over 7 of them.

It's not possible that they need a PWM signal to turn on is it?

According to that link, most fans will operate at full if the PWM pin is left unconnected, that was also my understanding. He did cross out some text that indicated a manufacture could make it to where it won't operate without a PWM pulse, maybe that is the case with mine. If so, is it easy or difficult to generate a PWM pulse to make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back