Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: FPGA interfacing with components

Status
Not open for further replies.

psgame

Hi,

I have a H-bridge circuit with 4 mosfets as my switches. My question is, how do I go about controlling these switches with an FPGA? My current idea is that I amplify the binary output of the FPGA pins controlling the switches and connect it directly to the Gate of the mosfets where 1= on, 0 = off. Is this thought correct?

You want a gate driver in between the FPGA and MOSFET. The FPGA can provide neither the voltage to turn the MOSFETs on nor do they the current capability to quickly switch the MOFETs on and off. This is especially true of the high-side MOSFETs whose source pin is not connected to ground (and is also often floating at an ever changing voltage) but serves as the reference for the gate threshold voltage. You can't really expect a ground referenced voltage to reliably meet the threshold requirements of a gate whose reference voltage is floating (and changing). You need a high-side gate driver for these which will produce a voltage difference between two floating pins but is controlled via a ground referenced control signal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back