Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help for an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottlefed281

looking for some help here...i have a rock crawler/ trail rig...its a 5spd and has 2 shifters for the 4wd...what im wanting is a indicator (7 segment displays maybe) on the dash..3 of em actually...one for the 2wd/4wd, one for Low/High range, and the third one for what gear im in (1-5)...can you get "L" and "H" to show up on these? thought was to use i guess micro switches on the shifter gate so when i shift into any of the gears it would hit the switch....any ideas? if anyone is still with me and not lost....lol

------ ------ -----
| 2 | | H | | 3 |
------ ------ -----
very rough i know...but would mean i was in 2wd, HIGH range, and in 3rd gear if it helps any...
the first display needs "2" and "4"
the middle display would only need "H" and "L" on it
the last one needs "1-5" and maybe something for "r"

LED displays may wash out under high light. You can get "H" and "L" to show up with a custom decode. 2 and 4 again, a custom decode. I'll have to think about the 1-5 and "r". Although this might be best done with a processor and display module and BASIC would suffice.

Check out **broken link removed** and CPUStick

There has to be a better way of sensing the positions.

All rather easy to do with a micro processor as a decoder/driver, but then you get into possiable trouble with electrical interference from the wiring in the vehicle, as it has well been noted how this can effect microcontrollers and they need a power supply to suit the conditions.

As for the led washed out in bright sunlight a red strip of perspex over the displays makes them bright and clear.

Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back