1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for a Step Motor Drive

Discussion in 'Robotics & Mechatronics' started by manoj soorya, Jan 28, 2018.

1. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

Hello All...

I am trying to make a Pan and Tilt Head for my Handy Cam Sony HDR-PJ240E. I have already made it one Unit. Its work Perfect at minimum zoom. My cam have 320X digital zoom. If I am set it with 230x OZ, the change is very high when it PAN. I have used DC motor and a small Gear System.

Now I deside to make another unit with Step Motor. I tried many circuit. I need one Step Motor Driver with Forward and Reverse with speed Controll, with a minimum components.

any suggession and a circuit with full schematic and code will help me.

Thanks in adavance.

Manoj Soorya

2. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

3. jpanhalt

jpanhalt Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

I can't open rar files and couldn't tell whether any of your links include that. As for the schematic, it looks pretty conventional.

4. dave miyares

Dave New Member

5. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

Hi jpanhalt..

The rar file contain only hex file and its PCB in PDF with source bas file. Please check this file I upload. are you famileier with stepper Motors?

Thank you so much

Attached Files:

6. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

I am searching another circuit with code.... can someone suggest a good one and simple to make?

7. jpanhalt

There is plenty of code for driving stepper motors and several application notes from the various chip suppliers. I followed Microchip and ran a small motor. Basically, I just defined the states and called them as needed based on input from an encoder . The motor followed the encoder.

That might be applicable to your use, but I think you would be well served to work from the source code rather than try to depend on just the hex file.

John

8. dave miyares

Dave New Member

9. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

Hi all,

I got another link......But how incres its speed ? this is the link : http://ccspicc.blogspot.in/2016/05/...-control-uln2003-l293d-circuit-ccs-pic-c.html

I have some doubts.

1. How to achive the maximum speed of the stepper motor ?
    2. I just make a circuit what I want. But when I touch the motor, Its Stopped. I think stepper motors are so powerful. Is it?
    3. I make it with 89C51 and ULN2003. as its minimum and maximum speed, its not run smooth. I feel some vibrations or like a jumping when its run. what the reason for that?

Thank so so much for your valuable time and Reply.

Manoj Soorya

10. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

is it possible to increase its speed?

11. jpanhalt

You control the speed with the microcontroller. You can also control the number of steps per revolution to an extent with code.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MaxHeadRoom78

MaxHeadRoom78 Well-Known Member

The important thing with a stepper motor is to maintain the rated current, due to the current decrease as the inductive reactance increases with rpm, the power supply to the PWM or drive is increased considerably above the rated stepper voltage in order to maintain this current.
    This now is normally done with a PWM style drive.
    Max.

13. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

Thanks For your replys

Regards Manoj

14. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

I am using this Circuit. Its most suitable for me.
    circuit.JPG

Attached Files:

15. jpanhalt

It looks like you are using a design for a unipolar motor. My work was with a bipolar motor. There are of course, similarities. To get smaller steps and less jerky movements, you can go to half-stepping, quarter-stepping to microstepping.

Of all the application notes I saved, this one one most valuable to me. It discusses the motor types as well as different ways to get smaller steps:
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00907a.pdf

This was my second most used application note: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00822a.pdf

The down side of microstepping is loss of torque and as Max pointed out, that can be compensated for to an extent.

John

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  16. atferrari

atferrari Well-Known Member

Hola Manooj

I suggest you to google "Jones stepper motors". The tutorial, maybe a little long for your taste, will help you to get a pretty reasonable grasp of the matter.

To control a stepper, you could do it manually so it advances one step every time you bring one pin of a micro low. Do not worry; too-basic as it looks, is the best. After doing that test, I programmed a micro able to accelerate, going back a forth as required and of course, stop as well. I even used garden variety transistors.

I recall "seeing" you before. Kind of a Ritesh-like recollection.

17. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

Hello All

Thank you so much for your valuable time.

Thank you so much for the PDF referance, Jpanhalt. Thank you so much for the attention about in my post. Its most valuable for me too the PDF.

and

atferrari,
    Great suggession. I cheack the "Jones stepper motors", Its pretty Good and I think its most suitable for me. I just get this circuit form Internet.

what is your oppenion?[​IMG]

Thank you so much all for your attenssion in my post.

18. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

I am trying to make the about circuit in Proteus..... will upload a result in just a minute.

19. jpanhalt

Have you chosen your stepper motors yet? The drives for the different types are different. Can you give us the model number?

If not, have you considered using inexpensive model servos? There have been big improvement not only in positioning accuracy but in power over the past 5 years. They are quite easy to drive and have the advantage of "absolute" positioning. That is, even if you move the shaft position when they are not powered, they will still seek the same position with the same input.

Stepper motors are not that way. You need to know or be able to find the shaft position when powering them up.

20. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

Hi Jpanhalt

Actually my system not work with
    . Can you please google "Pan and Tilt Head" ? for more information.....I will try with servo, if my system failed.

Thank you.

21. manoj soorya

manoj soorya Member

Proteus Simulation not work due to 74LS86- No model specification Problem. Need to try with real hardware. Will post here the result latter. may be after 2 or 3 hours latter.

Thank you all...Have a nice day.

22. jpanhalt

I was using "shaft" to mean the moving part inside the stator, i.e., what is called the rotor in the Microchip documents. I guess in theory, the rotor could have integral internal or external gear teeth and drive a gear rack or ring gear directly with a "shaft" per se. But, I suspect such designs are expensive. I did the google search you suggested and found some pan and tilt designs that are servo based -- in fact, this link was the first hit on my machine. The servo being used has a shaft and is a typical hobby servo.

https://www.robotshop.com/media/cat.../pan-tilt-kit-pixy-cmucam5-image-sensor_1.jpg

What would you call the clear area at the center of the motor in the illustration you posted?
    upload_2018-1-29_16-19-49.png

John

• Like Like x 1