Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for a Novice needed PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

69428scj

Hi,

I'm not a total electronic novice, as being an electrician (amongst other things) ensures I know the basics etc, but when it comes to what I want to achieve here, I have no idea where to start. Compared to you guys I know nothing. So treat me as an idiot and you won't be far wrong!!!!!;)

I have done a search on here and on the web, but nothing seems to be available to do what I want.

This is what I am after:

I am in the final throws of restoring (actually restomodding) a 1969 Mustang, and have decided I don't like the door handles. I have already installed in the car remote central locking, carputer built in (with the GPS etc), DVD player and more, but now wish to delete the door handles.

I have obtained some door solenoids which will pop each door with a 12v current. But I am thinking about the best way to operate the doors.

I have decided I can not locate a push switch (which would be the simple task), but would prefer a touch sensitive type device installed behind the rear side window glass.

What I have is the following:

A rear "quarter" window (just behind the door handle location) whereby I would like a small (10p size-ish) section that when touched on the outside will provide enough current to operate a relay to feed power to the door poppers. I have serious concerns about the whole window being touch sensitive, as if this is touched while driving - pop goes my passengers etc! So I need it to be a localized touch pad.

I was thinking about having the circuit hidden below the panel (under the window - which is fixed, not wind down or anything), and then a small wire going to a "foil" type round pad on the inside of the glass, then a nice sticker made for the outside of the glass (with a "hole" in the middle) indicating to press here to open door. Only if this small area (i.e the size of the foil) is touched will the doors open.

I can obviously supply a 12v feed for the circuit and have this only live when the doors are unlocked and the ignition is off etc. . . . for safety and even have a dash mounted button wired directly to the solenoid to open the doors from inside at any time - but I need this sensor to work through the glass, be localised, be safe and reliable for use in a car and through the environmental differences faced in a car etc etc etc . . . .

Please can someone point me in the right direction on where to start with this; where I can get a pre-made solution; or (better still) if someone can make two (one for each door) for me (for a cost obviously) or something else?

Any help would be appreciated and obviously rewarded for a run in a 7 litre 600bhp Mustang when she's finished (if your local!!!!)

Many thanks in advance.

Mick . . .

The remote central locking has the remote open function which is fine - BUT what about when a passenger wants to open the door, or what about when you leave the keys inside and shut the door . . . .

It would be far easier to run the conventional method and have an "OPEN" system on the car near where you would expect to find one.

Quick reply though - thanks!!!!

You might check K Mart for a cheap calculator etc. that has a membrane type key pad that you can peel off and cut to fit. Then use an FET to operate the solenoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back