Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for a complete novice

Status
Not open for further replies.
a lot less developement time.
. . .'cause the engineering has already been done.
Good idea.

At some point, Mr. Wit, we should find out how much current the 12v signal input to the engine controller requires. If it's a CMOS input, the answer is "almost none."

Think you will be looking for an inverting comparator circuit with perhaps a LM393 .

A simplistic recap; take an analog signal voltage from an IR, ultrasonic or ?? sensor. Condition that signal to a reasonable voltage if necessary with an operational amp I.C. Determine the wheelie height that you want to take action at and its corresponding output voltage, this is your reference voltage. The reference voltage can be accomplished with a voltage divider circuit. A precision pot on one leg of the divider would make an adjustable reference.

If you did try the IR sensor, then the higher you go, the less output voltage you get. You would then put the IR output on Vin positive pin and the reference voltage on Vin negative pin of the comparator. So up till the wheelie reference voltage, the output of the comparator will be high. When the input voltage drops below the reference point, the output will go low. As mentioned earlier it matters on how much sink current the mgmt. system requires and making sure that the sensor output will meet that.

I think it would be hard for someone to supply all the specifics considering the environment it will be in, and the potential harm/liability that it could cause. Interesting project.

. . .the potential harm/liability that it could cause. Interesting project.

I don't know how this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_of_care
applies to the race-track environment.

And, in a broad sense, this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_diligence

Generally, as the potential for harm increases, the rules against "unnecessary" risk and negligence increase.

For a risk/benefit analysis of this, I'm not sure how to quantify what goes on the "benefit" side of the equation.

Fortunately this is not a zero-sum game. Something that benefits a driver may not be an increased risk to the spectators.

I suppose the engine controller people already have a disclaimer for their product, but I think they are still bound by the two doctrines above.

Last edited:
Nevermind

I appreciate the input but I found a mechanical way to fix the problem that's already fully developed. Looks like I was trying to reinvent the mousetrap.

Karl:eek:

After sharing some of the information that has been offered on this site with some of my peers, I've been enlightened to a very basic technique that has been in the sport for years but I've not used.

If you recall, I referred to the full extension of the front suspension on every launch of the car. It turns out that by limiting this extension to varying degrees, we also limit the amount of energy that the front springs add to the rise of the front end of the car beyond the point that is acceptable. We've been letting the suspension fully extend and contribute all of the energy of the front springs to the rise of the front end. We've done some testing with limiting the extension of the front suspension and have experienced considerable improvement (almost complete elimination) with the problem of the front end rising beyond an acceptable amount.

$12.50 for 6' of 1/4" cable and some clamps.:D

After sharing some of the information that has been offered on this site with some of my peers, I've been enlightened to a very basic technique that has been in the sport for years but I've not used.

If you recall, I referred to the full extension of the front suspension on every launch of the car. It turns out that by limiting this extension to varying degrees, we also limit the amount of energy that the front springs add to the rise of the front end of the car beyond the point that is acceptable. We've been letting the suspension fully extend and contribute all of the energy of the front springs to the rise of the front end. We've done some testing with limiting the extension of the front suspension and have experienced considerable improvement (almost complete elimination) with the problem of the front end rising beyond an acceptable amount.

$12.50 for 6' of 1/4" cable and some clamps.:D
No downside to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back