Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help finding this buck transformer or a replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

I have a brand new device that is now dead. All of 2 min on it. I discovered that the transformer primary is open. I am receiving replacement parts but figured I would just fix this one too for spares.

The existing transformer is:

Model: EI35x15(A)
Input: 115V, 60hz
Output: 12.4V, 250mA

E219749
Shenzhen Sanma Electronics.

I am sure I could sneak a 12V transformer in here but would feel better about using what was in it. This is not a multi-tap transformer. Just a single primary and secondary.

Nevermind guys. I was able to score one that was really close from radio shack. Unit is not running like a charm. Specs on the new one were 120/12.6, 300mA. A little head room on the current and voltage was super close as well. Just had to solder on some buss wire to bend things around for the different pin layout.

I found that the transformer was made poorly and the wire spool was not terminated to the posts very well. I think this caused excessive heat in the wire. Even after cutting off that small bit of wire to test, the spool was still open. The new one has been running for about 20 hrs straight now without issue.

Yeah, I found that cheap transformers overheat a lot, especially the ones in wall-warts.

-Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back