Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help (electronic dipstick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allycat

Hi All, I want to make an electronic dipstick which will show low or high oil level, does anyone now of or possess a circuit diagram for this project.

You have not provided any information. How low or high oil level says nothing, you need a range of distance expressed in some unit of measure. Is the oil level currently measured with a dipstick? What is the stick tube diameter as you need to know what can be fitted. Is this a school project? I ask because on most engines the engine must be off to measure oil level accurately. You really need to provide much more info to get good help.

Ron

One way to measure fluid level is to use a clear plastic rod with both ends polished. The rod will reflect a significant amount of light from the end when not submerged in liquid and will reflect only a small amount of light when submerged. For two levels you could use two different rod lengths side-by-side.

You would need a circuit that would shine a small light (such as from an LED) down the end of the tubes and measure the reflected light from each tube.

I once owned a car (Ford XR3) which had an electronic dipstick.
That dipstick was a disaster, it was always reporting low oil level when the the level was OK.

I dont know how that dipstick worked and do not care to know, it was useless.

JimB

How about doing what a washing machine does for sensing the water level in the tub? A narrow tube sitting in the oil pan with a pressure sensor at the other [sealed] end. As the amout of oil in the pan changes so does the pressure. It would definitely change as the pitch and roll of the car changes, and as the engine goes from stopped to running, but it would be fairly easy to implement.

Hi Thanks for the replies here is abit more info. The dipstick will not be fitted to an engine in a car. The engines will sometimes be hot or cold after a hot bench test. I need to know if the oil fill is low or high. It needs to be done with no moving parts. Indication will be by Green & Red led`s. It needs to fit in approx 6mm hole. Hope this is of use. Thanks again for replies recieved so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back