Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Determining Capacitor Values on Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smay

Hi All,
I have a bunch of random capacitors i found in a box in my workshop. I have been able to figure out the values of most of them, but there are a few tiny ones with very few markings and I want to make sure I have the correct values. My multimeter doesn't give capacitance so I need to rely on the markings for now.

There are 4 very small caps, all of them are a light brown color. Three have a black stripe across the top and one has an orange stripe across the top. All of the numbers written on them have a solid line underneath (e.g 15). I assume these are just the value in pF but want to make sure. The numbers written on them are:
1.5 (the . is actually in the middle of the numbers so it looks like 1-5)

I also have another cap which uses the standard 3 digit code, and above the code is a single character which is unfortunately quite faded. It is very small but I think it is either a B, and 8, or a lowercase a. Does anyone have any idea what that means?

Finally, I have another cap which is large enough that I can actually read some things on it. It is marked:
.001P
Y5U
1kv
I think that means .001uF +100% -0% but again I'm unsure and I have no idea what +100% -0% means if that is correct.

Thanks for any help. I can try to take pictures of them if you need more information.

I'm not sure about that second one, but if the tolerance is +100% /-0%, that means the value can vary below the rated value by 0% or above the rated value by 100%.

Last edited:
Yes, the ones marked 1.5, 15, 2.2 and 24 are in pF.

The one marked 0.001 will be in µF which is 1nF.

Y5U will be the dielectric type.

To be honest, I can't remember what the P means, if you've looked it up and it says +100% -0% then that's the tolerance so in this case its value will be, between 1nF and 2nF, 1.5nF is probably typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back