Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help designing power supply pcb circuit for wide range input ac/dc

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Here is the deal. We have a couple custom circuits that we are designing that use no more than 1A at 5V. available power to run our circuits will vary so we want to make something that will accept say 10-100V AC or DC. Usually we might do a bridge and a reg but regs rarely deal with this much fluctuation.

I have seen this type of supply on several modern components and not sure how it is done. There is a small LCD monitor that accepts 10-400V !! With what we are doing now, ours will blow up at 32V. We really need to handle fairly dirty AC well and power a PIC without problems.

Last edited:
Typically a power line switching regulator is used. There are ICs specifically designed for that purpose.

Could I assume you would still create a bridge to get DC power to the IC, then the IC will regulate only DC power? Or is this an all in one solution?

Could I assume you would still create a bridge to get DC power to the IC, then the IC will regulate only DC power? Or is this an all in one solution?
That would be the likely circuit configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back