Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help designing a low signal amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoMX

Hi, I've been requested (in a course, I feel we're not being taught but lerning by ourselves) to design a circuit to amplify a 1 mVpp (f=1KHz) signal to 10Vpp, the idea is to show "how to" handle very low signals (e.g. microvolts coming from a probe), the problem is that I've not worked with circuits for a long time (I've been working in an instrumentation department for some years) and I need to remember what I knew (or what I've forgotten) as fast as possible :p.

I'm thinking of using two inverting amplifiers with a gain of -100 each, and using a pass-band active filter in between (well, I'm pretty sure I have to use opamps since that's what we've been talking about in the course), it's just that I "feel" it's too simple, I think it should be harder :p.

I don't remember anything about filter designing, but I'm sure I can remember after reading some information about it.

Could you please send me your comments/advice/suggestiongs/ideas for the circuit I've been requested (I'm not asking for a ready-to-use design, but if you have one I wouldn't complain ;))?

Thanks in advance for your help,
José Jorge.

PS. Sorry for my poor English (it's not my mother language).

GeoMX said:
Hi, I've been requested (in a course, I feel we're not being taught but lerning by ourselves) to design a circuit to amplify a 1 mVpp (f=1KHz) signal to 10Vpp, the idea is to show "how to" handle very low signals (e.g. microvolts coming from a probe), the problem is that I've not worked with circuits for a long time (I've been working in an instrumentation department for some years) and I need to remember what I knew (or what I've forgotten) as fast as possible :p.

I'm thinking of using two inverting amplifiers with a gain of -100 each, and using a pass-band active filter in between (well, I'm pretty sure I have to use opamps since that's what we've been talking about in the course), it's just that I "feel" it's too simple, I think it should be harder :p.

I don't remember anything about filter designing, but I'm sure I can remember after reading some information about it.

Could you please send me your comments/advice/suggestiongs/ideas for the circuit I've been requested (I'm not asking for a ready-to-use design, but if you have one I wouldn't complain ;))?

Thanks in advance for your help,
José Jorge.

PS. Sorry for my poor English (it's not my mother language).

Hnadling microvolts coming from a probe is going to require much more than what you have suggested. Your suspicions are correct - it won't be that easy.

If you still want some suggestions about how to recover microvolts from noise & thermals - PM me, you may never return to read this so I wont waste my time.

Optikon: thanks for all of your help, I've got the circuit working. I used the AD620 instrumentation amplifier (one I could find here). The only problem was the frequency, I thought it was 1 KHz and it was 10 KHz!

Now we'll be working on a pH indicator circuit, I feel we can make it, but have little time, so I'd better go back to work ;)!

Thanks again for your help,
JJ (GeoMX).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back