Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help constructing a digital counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

potoole64

I have these TEXAS INSTRUMENT circuits:
(a) CD74HCT193E
Description IC SYNC 4-BIT UP/DN COUNTER 16-DIP
(b) CD4511BE
Description IC 7-SEG LED DECOD/DRVR 16-DIP
I want to make a counter (timer) circuit using those circuits with a 7 segment digital display. Will I be able to use a monostable multivibrator, made from a 555 timer IC, as the initial feed to the 4-BIT UP/DN COUNTER ?
I'm not sure how to connect to the counter's pins, as I don't think TI's data sheet is too helpfull.

I tried to attach a diagram of the counter, but its in PDF, and I just couldn't get parts of the data sheet uploaded to this thread. Here's the address of the 4-BIT UP/DN COUNTER
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/10/cd74hc192.pdf

The address of the -SEG LED DECOD/DRVR
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/10/cd4511b.pdf

Thanks
PO2L

Will I be able to use a monostable multivibrator, made from a 555 timer IC, as the initial feed to the 4-BIT UP/DN COUNTER?

Yes, but why use a one-shot to source your counter? Plus this counter has separate up/down inputs, so you'd have to use two 555s unless you gate your signals. What's your application?

(Also, you really ought to try and match logic families when building these kinds of things, i.e. the HCT part and CD45xx part are compatible only at ca. 5V, and the counter may need pull-ups on its outputs for use with that decoder...)

Last edited:
help with timer - counter

Thanks for the reply
My mistake; I should have written that I want to use a free running mv made from 555.:eek:
I just want to make a simple timer that will count time in seconds (maybe tenths of a sec.) and one that I can start and stop in a fashion that I will figure out later. (Maybe start and stop by microcontroller.) Similar to this one that I found on the internet. 7 Segment LED Counter
(unable to attach).
The author of this project listed these parts:
(a) 74LS90 TTL BCD Counter IC - or substitutes 7490,74HC90
(b) 74LS47 TTL Seven Segment Display Driver IC - or subs 7447,74HC47

I searched the net for those two ckts, couldn't find them, and somehow or other wound up with the ckts that I found at Digi Key for less than $1. each.
Perhaps I will need to search further.:confused:

po2l

The author of this project listed these parts:
(a) 74LS90 TTL BCD Counter IC - or substitutes 7490,74HC90
(b) 74LS47 TTL Seven Segment Display Driver IC - or subs 7447,74HC47

I searched the net for those two ckts, couldn't find them, and somehow or other wound up with the ckts that I found at Digi Key for less than $1. each.
Perhaps I will need to search further.:confused:

po2l

hi,
Looked at the counter/timer link you posted.

What is the question you are asking.?:)

EDIT: Whats your location.?

Last edited:
I need help with constructing digital timer (counter)

hi,
Looked at the counter/timer link you posted.

What is the question you are asking.?:)

EDIT: Whats your location.?

From PO2L
I don't have the circuits listed in that link, but I do have similar circuits that I obtained from Digi Key, which are of Texas Instrument origination. I wanted to know if it was possible to use the parts obtained from Digi Key to build a counter/timer similar to the one that I found at the internet site that I posted.(7 Segment LED Counter)
I also wanted advice on how to connect the terminals on the Digi Key parts since the data that TI(the Co. that made the parts) submitted on those parts was a little confusing to me. Where would I connect a free running multivibrator? What other connections are necessary? Proper connections from counter to LED driver? I am located in North Dakota, which is in far north central USA. Digi Key is located quite close, I get parts from that company at low shipping costs, they don't have the parts listed in 7 Segment LED Counter

saturn1bguy said:
(Also, you really ought to try and match logic families when building these kinds of things, i.e. the HCT part and CD45xx part are compatible only at ca. 5V, and the counter may need pull-ups on its outputs for use with that decoder...)​

From PO2L
I'm not sure of how to match logic families, but this is just a little hobby ckt for myself and would be at 5 volts or less
(PO'T)

From PO2L MY ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS:
I have these TEXAS INSTRUMENT circuits:
(a) CD74HCT193E
Description IC SYNC 4-BIT UP/DN COUNTER 16-DIP
(b) CD4511BE
Description IC 7-SEG LED DECOD/DRVR 16-DIP
I want to make a counter (timer) circuit using those circuits with a 7 segment digital display. Will I be able to use a multivibrator, made from a 555 timer IC, as the initial feed to the 4-BIT UP/DN COUNTER ?
I'm not sure how to connect to the counter's pins, as I don't think TI's data sheet is too helpfull.

I tried to attach a diagram of the counter, but its in PDF, and I just couldn't get parts of the data sheet uploaded to this thread. Here's the address of the 4-BIT UP/DN COUNTER
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/10/cd74hc192-1.pdf

The address of the -SEG LED DECOD/DRVR
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/10/cd4511b-1.pdf
Thanks
PO2L

Thanks for the replies
Po2l

I'm not sure of how to match logic families, but this is just a little hobby ckt for myself and would be at 5 volts or less

What I mean is you originally spec'ed a 74HCT193 and a CD4511. These are parts from logic families that are similair in a few ways and disimilar in several more. They each have their own specified supply voltage ranges and input/output levels. Depending on what you're doing they may not work together without some additional effort, thus my counsel to choose a logic family, and then use parts within that family to do the job.

For example, use a 74192 with a 7447, or a 74LS90 with a 74LS47, or a CD4510 with a CD4511, etc. One can mix families, certainly, but be aware there may be additional issues that aren't always apparent. (The '90 parts are decade counters, the '190/192 are up/down decade counters.)

Now, with respect to parts from DigiKey, you're going to have a hard time finding the older TTL parts (74xxxx). But they do have the CD4510BE and CD4511BE both in stock, $0.52 and $0.62 each (see P/Ns 296-2167-5-ND and 296-2072-5-ND). Although these have different pinouts than those in the URL you referenced, you can still build a comparable counting circuit. You'll likely have to go to Jameco to find the TTL parts in stock.

I hope this helps...

I would have to agree with my ring bound celestial friend. Mixing logic families can be problematic. If using TTL to cmos, your TTL will need a pullup. CMOS to TTL may need a buffer. It is easier just to use same logic.

I also wanted advice on how to connect the terminals on the Digi Key parts since the data that TI submitted on those parts was a little confusing to me. Where would I connect a free running multivibrator? What other connections are necessary? Proper connections from counter to LED driver

Here's a reference for the CD45XX parts. Look for the CD4510 and CD4511 and I think you'll find some good material for beginners. Now it's time for you to do a little homework :)

4000 series CMOS Logic ICs

Also, when looking for info on free-running oscillators, search for "astable multivibrator."

I would have to agree with my ring bound celestial friend.

So, is that Saturn, the planet, or the Saturn 1B booster? I hope the latter, because although the planet is cool, the 1B booster is WAY better. Perhaps you noticed the smoke ring surrounding the 1B in my avatar :)

So, is that Saturn, the planet, or the Saturn 1B booster? I hope the latter, because although the planet is cool, the 1B booster is WAY better. Perhaps you noticed the smoke ring surrounding the 1B in my avatar :)

Planet, rocket, they are both in space. Whats the difference?
"Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it."

My memory quit serving after last call :)

Thanks again, I'm half way there; I already have the CD4511BE. Looks like I'll have to contact Digi Key again for the 296-2167-5-ND (CD4510BE). Can I still use an ASTABLE multiV to start off the counter? Thanks for telling me this stuff about logic families; I'm way behind. Astable "free running", monostable "one shot". What year am I in, its not 1962 anymore?
I have a Parallax microcontroller kit, BS2, which uses a PIC16C57C microcontroller at its heart. I will probably use that to start and stop the counter, do ya think? The whole schmear, if I ever get it all running, will be rattling down a highway attached to a Harley Sportster. (Well attached)
PO2L

Astable "free running", monostable "one shot".

Monostable Multivibrator = oneshot
Bistable Multivibrator = flip flop
Astable Multivibrator = oscillator = clock

I have a Parallax microcontroller kit, BS2, which uses a PIC16C57C microcontroller at its heart. I will probably use that to start and stop the counter, do ya think?

You're building a single digit counter, right, which means hardly any resolution. So I'm sort of at a loss as to what it could possibly be used for...

But, if you're going to use a BS2, then you don't necessarily need an additional clock. Just program a couple of its pins as outputs, one to the clock input of your counter, pin 15, another to the up/down input, pin 10, if you're using that feature, and perhaps one to the reset input, pin 9, so you can clear the display, etc.

(Of course, the BS2 could do everything itself without the discrete counter and seven-segment decoder. But it sounds as if you're monkeying around for learning and fun...)

Last edited:
add info

(Of course, the BS2 could do everything itself without the discrete counter and seven-segment decoder. But it sounds as if you're monkeying around for learning and fun...)

Yup. Old retired guy. Relearning the old, while learning some new. I wanted a timer that is seperate from the BS2.
Basic Electronics, US Army, 1962. The first few weeks was "electron tube theory", but we had further training/experience in transistor ckts and in radar display equip. maintenance. In civ. life, tech school in electrical tech, electrician a few years, and the first 2 yr of EE. Finished my time as a Chemist, yawn, go figure.
PO2L

by the way, thanks for helping me find the proper/matching circuits, and the logic and other electronic info site(4000 series CMOS LOGIC IC's)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back